Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iconic.Motive
Subscribed - this is incredible! I've got a 1973 Mustang Fastback that I just bought and will be working on it. My build will be nothing like this - you guys are the real deal!

Good luck on finishing the rest of the project.
Thank you. I look forward to watching your build. I would love to own a 73 Mach 1 someday to make into the original "Eleanor."

Originally Posted by Stangatic
Did you look at that CJ Pony Parts Eleanor? To some degree, I like CJs (when they have parts in stock) but when they built that car, they cut a lot of corners and put a lot of really cheap parts on the car. I am pretty sure they were building to flip the car and just slapped a body kit on etc. If I am not mistaken, I think CJs said it cost the guy over $115k to build the car (I believe CJs did the work too). I think the owner wants close to $100k for the car. I was told the owner was offered $85k and didn't take it. I was up there a month ago and was told that the car was never sold. based on that car, your car should get offers upwards of $125k.

When it comes time to do mine, I will try to do like you did and get the lights as close to move correct as possible. It's amazing the difference between the two.

So have y'all done anything else in regards to this build even though it's in painters jail?
No we have not seen the car in person but from the pictures I can tell I don't like the interior. Except the subtle changes that were made in Gone in 60 Seconds, to me nothing beats the stock 67 Shelby interior. Changes done in the movie really were just the steering wheel and pedals, after all. We did see the Eleanor built by Christana's Muscle cars or whatever, and it wasn't good. I really don't like to be harsh or abrasive but if that's what people think is top notch car building...yikes - I guess all I should say is that's what gives these cars a bad name.

I appreciate the compliment. We've now seen a handful of Eleanor's by attending a couple Mecum auctions. I have yet to be blown away. I know that when my car is painted it will be the best painted Eleanor our there. Most HP/performance/bells and whistles? No way. But she will be the prettiest.

I look forward to watching you build your Eleanor. I can help along the way. I also have a whooooole lotta PIAA 959's in storage if you need a pair.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:04 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

So much hate!

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vi...anor-poll.html
Old 01-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Stangatic
3rd Gear Member

There is a lot of hate out there but ultimately who cares?!?! The good thing about customizing cars is that it is your heart, money, and imagination. Everyone has a different opinion and should keep them to there selves! My father has a 63 split window corvette that was tubbed, has a big hood scoop etc (setup as a prostreet.) I've been at shows where people have come up to him and expressed how disgusted they are with what was done to the car. Sometimes my father is blunt with a simple F-You response, or I really like when he says "sorry I forgot to ask for your opinion when I bought the car," which usually shuts them up right away. I think when it is time for him to hand it over to me, think I will probably do a gt500 motor swap to really **** off the corvette community!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:21 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

There needs to be a "FREAKING LOVE THEM!!!!" option and then I would vote.

People don't like what the movie did to the image of the car and it's fan base and all. I love it just the same!!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 11:24 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Jealous is all... I mean seriously. It's a beautiful car.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:00 PM
Iconic.Motive

Originally Posted by NoReins
Thank you. I look forward to watching your build. I would love to own a 73 Mach 1 someday to make into the original "Eleanor."
I've been thinking about doing a Mach 1 clone - still haven't decided yet. I heard it would increase the value of the car even though it's a clone - true??
Old 01-21-2013, 07:56 AM
1st Gear Member

love your car the only thing i don't like about the movie car is what it did to 67 68 prices between gone in 60 and bullit you cant touch a 67 68 for a desent price
Old 01-21-2013, 08:01 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Haha thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Stangatic
There is a lot of hate out there but ultimately who cares?!?! The good thing about customizing cars is that it is your heart, money, and imagination. Everyone has a different opinion and should keep them to there selves! My father has a 63 split window corvette that was tubbed, has a big hood scoop etc (setup as a prostreet.) I've been at shows where people have come up to him and expressed how disgusted they are with what was done to the car. Sometimes my father is blunt with a simple F-You response, or I really like when he says "sorry I forgot to ask for your opinion when I bought the car," which usually shuts them up right away. I think when it is time for him to hand it over to me, think I will probably do a gt500 motor swap to really **** off the corvette community!
Oh snap!!! lol Yeah we've had a little taste of opinions this summer with the Challenger. I like the "sorry I forgot to ask for your opininion" quote. I will be sure to keep that in the quote bank.

Originally Posted by Iconic.Motive
I've been thinking about doing a Mach 1 clone - still haven't decided yet. I heard it would increase the value of the car even though it's a clone - true??
I think so. I would think that clone's when nicely done, will bring more money. Just my opinion.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:28 AM
Stevea

Originally Posted by NoReins
I saw this on the forum and thought about your car lol Did you post a response yet You should post a link to your car and tell them all to suck it. It's got better craftsmanship than most of their cars will ever have and I'm not a fan of them, but I would own your car any day!
Old 01-21-2013, 04:26 PM
120mm
2nd Gear Member

The problem with a significant number of classic cars fans is that many of them do not really get the concept of private property. Lots of them actually think they should be able to tell you what you can do with "your" car.

I feel your pain. I am a severe minimalist in my personal taste, but I really enjoy seeing what others like and do with their cars.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback