Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

water leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:20 AM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

Default water leak

got caught in my first rain storm friday in the '66 coming back from a cruise-in
have a serious waterleak on the drivers side was running in from the dash area
what are the main areas to start looking for the leak Thanks for the info
Old 07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

check the cowl first of all (the vent between hood and windscreen)
pour water down there and if that comes out on the inside of the car, the coal might be rusted through. use either a waterhose or a bucket of water. maybe it's just blocked and water sits in there rising over the air intake.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:53 AM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

thanks I've looked at the pan under the cowl, looks like it was replaced when we were
redoing the car. is there a drain line or overflow to the pan
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Check cowl first then dumb water the windshield and check seal from corner to middle. Mine leaked from the corner and traveled to above my radio very slowly.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

Here is a write up and pictures when I checked my cowl tophats. You will get a good idea of what is inside from the pictures.
http://chris66dad.tripod.com/id18.html

Good Luck and BE Safe
Ron
Old 07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Gun Jam

If the cowl test good the leak is from the body seams. These seams were covered with a seam sealant and over 40 years time it cracks and allows water to run into the car.

The fix is easy...I wonder if I can find that thread...

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...oval-help.html

Do that

-Gun
Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I agree its probably a leak in the cowl or it could be the vent that is leaking.

I suggest getting one of these cowl covers. I have this one, its the best one I have seen. My car leaked at the vent before, but I think we have that fixed. I use this if the car is parked under trees etc when a bunch of leaves are falling or if it might be stuck in the rain. I keep it in the original box in the trunk. It works well. Even if you get the leak fixed, it can prevent future problems.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/product.asp?pn=CC1
Old 07-20-2010, 08:27 AM
marlon1
2nd Gear Member

thanks for the info guys, looks like a project for this winter. I'll try to stay out of the rain till then. was going to replace the passenger door & pull the motor to have the block painted this winter anyway, so just one more thing on my list
Old 07-21-2010, 12:15 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

i hate it when i wash my car and water gets down into the cowl. its just unnecesarry water getting into places that could eventually cause rust. ive seen cowl covers before but the one you posted tx65coupe is clean looking and cheap. thanks so much. ill be getting one of those soon. anyone have experience with these covers how do they attached, ive never seen one in person
Old 07-22-2010, 05:32 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

They have spring loaded tabs that go between the cowl louvers. You press them down and turn them. Its really pretty easy to do.

I agree I want my car to look its best and like to wash it but dont want the water getting down into places that can cause rust. I wash it once a month and thats usually enough since its not a daily driver.

If you get that one, do like the instructions say and keep the box. It will keep the neoprene gasket from getting screwed up.

Quick Reply: water leak