Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need some help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM
PAUL M

Default Need some help Please!

Hi Guys
I have a 68 mustang coupe. I was taking it to my other garage to put away for the winter. Well, I shut it off in the driveway came back out and now it wont go into gear. It has a hurst 3 speed lockout shifter. the shifter will go into gear but the transmission wont. The transmission fluid was low refilled it still no luck. Any ideas on what i can do. Its stuck in park so I cant even push it up into the garage.

could it be the linkage or do you think I fried my transmission? and any ideas how i can get the car moving? Remove driveshaft?
Thanks in advance
Paul M
Old 09-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Gun Jam

is it parked on a hill?

Its an automatic trans right?

if the selector is moving but isnt shifting gears I would guess its got to do with whatever type of system is actuating the selector on the trans.

On the left side of the trans you should find the selector about midway and center on the case...Have someone move the shifter and see if anything down there moves...Dont get run over while watching be careful

-Gun
Old 09-28-2010, 12:35 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Just to double up on GJ, your linkage is probably loose between the shifter and trans but DON'T be underneath checking it until someone you trust is inside holding the brakes. It's just too tempting to grab a lever and move it while the car is sitting on a slight slope.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:40 PM
PAUL M

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
is it parked on a hill?

Its an automatic trans right?

if the selector is moving but isnt shifting gears I would guess its got to do with whatever type of system is actuating the selector on the trans.

On the left side of the trans you should find the selector about midway and center on the case...Have someone move the shifter and see if anything down there moves...Dont get run over while watching be careful

-Gun
Thank you, Its on a slight incline right now. So you think it could be the linkage. I'll check it out thx again
Old 09-28-2010, 12:42 PM
PAUL M

Originally Posted by KMatch
Just to double up on GJ, your linkage is probably loose between the shifter and trans but DON'T be underneath checking it until someone you trust is inside holding the brakes. It's just too tempting to grab a lever and move it while the car is sitting on a slight slope.
Thanks! If anyone was going to get run over doing this it would be me! Im a master at murphys law!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Gun Jam

Tire chalks and someone on the brakes + parking brake whatever you gotta do.

It doesnt have to be running to check for movement of the linkage and selector on the trans...infact it should NOT be running while you check for this.

As for the slope question... I found that sometimes it took extra effort to move the selector when the car was on a slope..this extra effort may have been enough to break something loose so the linkage is no longer connected to the shifter.

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 09-28-2010 at 12:59 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I'd bet money it's the shifter linkage.

I backed mine out of the garage a while back and when I tried to shift into drive it kept going in reverse. Linkage had come loose on the tranny side.

Easy fix...just climb under and reconnect it.

I've since put the pin that is supposed to be there to hold it in place on mine.