Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 fastback rear end

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 PM
rgeisler

Default 67 fastback rear end

I just recently bought my first mustang. Its a 67 fastback that came with a 289 2 barrel with a 3 speed standard tranny. The car had been sitting for 3 years when I got it, but I have got it running pretty good now. The only problem is the rear end leaks a good puddle of oil. Iam not sure what type of rear end the car has. Looks like a welded sealed type from the back with a pipe plug in the front for filling Iam assuming. Does anyone know how to check the fluid in this , what type to put in it and how to change the gasket. thanks in advance guys...
Old 08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 67 fastback rear end

hi and welcome here, lots of info flying about here as i recently discovered myself...

to check the fluid you indeed need to undo the plug. the fluid should be just at the bottom of the hole. exactly what type needs to go in, depends a bit on what type of rear axle you got, i.e limited slip, posi and so on. what exactly needs to go in what i couldn't really tell you, i usually ask my mechanic/friend for stuff like that.

i do know however, that changing the gasket on a rear axle is quite simple on ford rear ends. you undo the drive shaft from the axle, wich is done by undoing the four bolts that hold the 2 u-bolts to the yoke. then with a crowbar of some sort you gently wriggle the (i'm from belgium, can't find the word in english) + shaped thing out of the yoke. be carefull not to touch or damage the bearings on each of the four sides with the crowbar, they sometimes fall off when they haven't been lubricated. you will see that the drive shaft comes down a little bit, but stays in the transmission. you can now pull this shaft out of the transmission but beware, the trans oil can leak out of the tranny, and boy does it make a mess. they sell plugs that go in here, but a rag and some decent duck tape will do wonders for short periods of time, if you tape it up real tight. so now that you got the axle in front of you, place an oil pan under the axle housing and undo the bolts. btw, if you can't reach the two most lowest bolts with a socket, you have a 9" rear. the housing is larger on these because of the larger diameter of bearing that's in there, compared to a 8" axle. with all the bolts undone, and your gasket leaking, now is about the time that oil will probably start to leak out of the housing (if there's any left). when most of the oil is drained, carefully pull the carrier housing out of the axle. a little bit of persuasion might be necessary, i.e a screwdriver between the two flanges or something. be carefull not to damage the mating surfaces of the carrier and the housing while doing so.

with the carrier about an inch out of the housing, you can lift it out completely. take care, it weighs more than it seems. clean the surfaces and the inside of the housing, put your new gasket in and away you go. mounting is reverse of dismantling, but inspect the pinion and ring for wear and broken teeth. if any, it will need a new set. it can also be readjusted i've heard, but i wouldn't know how to do that...

hope that helped you a little..