Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Bellhousing spacer plate problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:55 PM
blazerdup
1st Gear Member

Question Bellhousing spacer plate problem

I am in the middle of swapping my 3 speed toploader to a C4; after I take the 3 speed tranny out I realize that my bellhousing spacer plate is not what I need. I spent hours online looking for a spacer plate for a 200 6 cylinder but all I can find are for small blocks. Go figure.
So at this point I am wondering if I can just modify my existing spacer plate but cutting out the area where the inspection plate would go and try that.

Does anyone have any experience here? Would this work? Can anyone help me locate the proper bellhousing spacer plate for the I6?

Thanks,
Old 10-24-2010, 09:48 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

I'm pretty sure you're going to need a C4 bellhousing. In other words, you cannot use the bellhousing from the manual for the C4. You shouldn't need any type of adapter plate.

Where are you located and what year is your mustang? Ironically I'm looking to swap my C4 (on a 200 I6) to a manual.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:31 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

He's talking about the rear engine rear cover plate.

Try calling Glazier/Nolan for a used one. The small inspection plate is available new.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:32 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mySAVIOReigns
I'm pretty sure you're going to need a C4 bellhousing. In other words, you cannot use the bellhousing from the manual for the C4. You shouldn't need any type of adapter plate.

Where are you located and what year is your mustang? Ironically I'm looking to swap my C4 (on a 200 I6) to a manual.
You will probably want to use a T5 5-speed, and adapter plates for this are available.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:58 PM
blazerdup
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mySAVIOReigns

I have the C4 bellhousing; it is the spacer plate the goes in between the block and transmission. I am in San Antonio,TX..

I will see if I can find one with Glazier Nolan.. crossing fingers...
Old 10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

It's usually called a block plate. The reason you can't use a toploader plate with a C4 is that the block plate locates the starter.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:00 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by .boB
It's usually called a block plate. The reason you can't use a toploader plate with a C4 is that the block plate locates the starter.
His complicating factor is in his signature:

65 Coupe 200 3 speed
Old 10-27-2010, 12:05 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, that is a tough one. I wouldn't really know where to find one. I know there are few bone yards around the country that specialize in old Mustangs. I'd probably start searching for those places, and then pick up the phone.
Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That's why I suggested G/N. If they don't have one, they can probably find it.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:08 AM
blazerdup
1st Gear Member

I finally found one with Glazier Nolan. I have heard many people talking about this place but I finally called them last week. They did some research, found what I needed and shipped it to me; I should have it tomorrow. What a life saver.
Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply: Bellhousing spacer plate problem