Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

66 coupe front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:36 AM
Gun Jam

Originally Posted by 66 tang
Also, gun jam, do you know what pound your front spring rate is? and does your front end bottom out at all?
I think they are 650 rate pretty sure on that but NPD could verify.

I also run a 60 series ~215 front tire that lowered the nose a bit too.

This will NOT bottom out in normal street use

BUT

With the lower front tires and the lower springs the exhaust brackets at the collector would drag on the ground and catch on my driveway as they had about 1/2" clearance. I had to switch to from long tube headman headers to shorty headers.

AND

as 2+2 mentioned the shelby drop is also highly recommended and free to do minus maybe a drill bit. When doing the drop that would be a good time to replace upper control arms...I have a feeling they are probably quite worn as well.

You have quite a few options here and you'll have to make measurements of under carriage components Vs ground clearance + budget + final performance desire. Swaybars springs, shocks, new control arms, shelby drop will all work together and result in a car that handles on par with modern vehicles. You can do swaybars last and determine how large they need to be to achieve a neutral handling vehicle. I even think they make adjustable ones...

-Gun
Old 11-30-2010, 06:34 PM
66 tang
1st Gear Member

my only concern with the shelby drop is that i have a 351w, there is about the thickness of a piece of paper between the shock towers and the headers, so being able to reach the bolts that are 1" lower could be problematic.

but as of now i do have shorty headers, and new bilstein shocks, i think im going to upgrade the springs, then later down the road upgrade the sway bar and install new bushings