Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Coyote engine in 1971 Mach 1??

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 05:41 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

A 351c can make some power depending budget and how far you want to stroke it.Yeah money has a lot to do with it can't count how many times i seen cars at car shows,You see with a hell of a engine and rims but the body looks rough and a crap paint job and interior looks rough.They look like they spent 3/4 of there budget on the engine and left the rest to chance.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Pastorpat

I too am looking to put a mod motor in a 1971. I have been doing a lot of measuring and I think the 4.6 and 5.0 will fit between the shock towers. The power steering is a problem. The steering box is directly in the way of one of the exhaust ports. I will try to post a picture of my full scale drawings.
Patrick
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Why not put in a 3.5 twin turbo ecoboost??
Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Why not use a diesel?A 4bt cummins is small enough weights about what a big block does.But can make a ton of torque and get better mileage then a gas engine.
Old 09-30-2013, 10:16 PM
Pastorpat

If there was ever a unibody engine bay in the Ford universe that was "designed" to cart around a modular V-8, it would have to be the '71-'73 Mustang and Cougar. That is because Ford had planned to shove the Boss 429 (which measures out at 34 inches long x 30 inches wide) into the car, as well as the mammoth 429 Cobra Jet. The engine would require the Canton front sump pan and pick up. The T-56 six-speed is another story, as it still causes issues in the tunnel.
'71-'73 Mustang and Cougar
Top of shock tower width: 29¾ inches
Bottom of shock tower width: 27½ inches
Framerail width: 30½ inches

Read more: http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...#ixzz2gR7qWhF5
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 AM
mattsinger

Sorry to bring up a post from the past... but did this project ever get completed? Just wondering since Im in the middle of installing one in a 71.

Old 03-16-2021, 07:20 PM
Tom Russell

Thumbs up Installing a coyote engine in a 1971 mustang.

I agree with 67 mustang302 . I’ve researched it for several classics I have and putting in any generation of coyote engine will not be cheap whether it’s a gen 1,2,3,4. You can get a suspension kit from cj mustangs for your classic for about 1700. Then you will need new wiring going harness computer ,new transmission, drive shaft. You could easily spend 20 k or more . There’s a place in Australia that does them but there prices are ridiculous. 40 k on up. You can get lucky sometimes on coyote engines especially if you find certain f150 trucks ,though they don’t have the aluminum heads. A little less horsepower,but the aluminum head from mustang coyotes will fit . If you want to sell the Cleveland engine let me know very interested .
QUOTE=67mustang302;7377858]Um.....no, it won't cost remotely the same.

It will be neither cheap nor easy. It will require a great deal of front end modification to get a Coyote to fit, converting the entire front suspension, compromising handling etc, sheet metal fabrication and so forth.

Then you can get the engine and ECM, but you'll need a wiring harness. It's not setup for older cars, so you'll have sensors disconnected, constant engine codes in the ECM, and it will require work and money to get it to run right. Plus yeah, mating/fitting a transmission to it, which may require more sheetmetal fabbing of the trans tunnel to get the driveline angle right, plus a custom driveshaft.

Then there's going to be all the nickel and diming you ALWAYS run into on [projects like this. This hzs to be moved, that has to be resized, gotta change such and such.

I'd be amazed if you could swap a Coyote into that car and get the same power as rebuilding what you have for 2x as much money. In all likelihood it will cost more, 3x as much or higher. Rebuilding what you have into something healthy and getting it running with good power is going to be WAY cheaper.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-03-2021, 07:36 PM
Ron Maxwell

OK do your research, there is many ways to do this budget will determine which way you go. The finished product will be Amazing! I have a 71 Torino with a Gen1 & 6 speed,,,really my can is setting one a COMPLETE 2011 Mustang GT! dash floorboards everything! Even the Mustang fuel tank the straddles the driveshaft w/dual pumps! It is amazing and it takes 30 minutes just to put in gas! It draws a Crowd won many trophies and fun to drive and I do it everywhere!
OK when you decide buy a Ford Mustang Complete Wiring diagram book off E-bay. Don't cut wires use the original wiring harness. Issues: Power Steering go with a electric unit. Try to keep as much of the Donner vehicle. Shorties, no cats, when you're ready I know a guy that can delete everything you don't need, ABS,PATS.TPS,SRS CATS and tune it and the transmission in you go Automatic. It is a project, ask around to those who HAVE Really done it. That is the very best advice. The difference in your two options are this 1. a Mustang with a 351Cleveland setting beside 10 more just like it or 2. A Coyote powered Mustang with a Crowed gathered around it. And don't forget that smile that a belt sander with 40 grit paper can't remove! DON'T start this unless you're going through with it. O and a plus your car will be worth at least $15,000 more done right. Good Luck

71 Ford Torino setting on 2011 Mustang GT 5.0 w/6 speed 3:73 gears