Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:36 AM
mucduc

Default 1965 engine swap

hey everyone.

im new here. i not sure if this is the right place for the thread but here it goes. i have a 1965 mustang coupe with numbers matching 289. that motor is in need of some help. i know someone who is selling a complete 1987 302 minus the intake mani and the carb for $120 he has had it for awhile and needs money fast for a trip he is going on tomorrow. my father in law says that its new technology and wont work because it would need o2 sensors and computer. from what i have read it will bolt right in. with it being carbed im not sure what computer is needed. can someone straighten me out on this?

he also says to get this 1966 donor coupe for 500 instead. but i think this motor would be just as tired as my 289
Old 01-25-2011, 08:44 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mucduc
hey everyone.

im new here. i not sure if this is the right place for the thread but here it goes. i have a 1965 mustang coupe with numbers matching 289. that motor is in need of some help. i know someone who is selling a complete 1987 302 minus the intake mani and the carb for $120 he has had it for awhile and needs money fast for a trip he is going on tomorrow. my father in law says that its new technology and wont work because it would need o2 sensors and computer. from what i have read it will bolt right in. with it being carbed im not sure what computer is needed. can someone straighten me out on this?

he also says to get this 1966 donor coupe for 500 instead. but i think this motor would be just as tired as my 289
If you're running a carb you don't need an O2 sensor. Is it a roller block? Also, in 1965 there is no such thing as "numbers matching".
Old 01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
mucduc

im not sure if its a roller block. he said the guy he got it from said it was rebuilt, but not sure if it was or not. he said it was stock thou. and i have read that before 1967 the numbers were scattered all over the car and that it was very difficult for actually confirm a numbers matching and thats what i told him. if the motor was either roller or not would there be any problems with it bolting right in?
Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

my father in law says that its new technology and wont work because it would need o2 sensors and computer. from what i have read it will bolt right in. with it being carbed im not sure what computer is needed. can someone straighten me out on this?
If you use a carburetor, you won't need any of that crap. An 87 is a 5.0 roller cam engine, and your 65 intake, or aftermarket carb setup, will bolt right on. Va-voom.

It will need some converting, you'll need a 5.0 conversion damper to get your 66 accessories onto it, and you'll need to put the fuel pump eccentric and timing cover from your 65 engine on it, and depending what trans you have you may need a flywheel.

Or you could just rebuild the original engine. It's only original once. Once that's gone, it's just another mutt. Maybe a fast mutt, but…

As for "numbers matching", on a 65 that would only apply to a 289HP-equipped Mustang. What you have going for you is correct castings with correct date codes. That's as "numbers matching" as a 65 gets.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 01-25-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
mucduc

ok cool i will have to tell him that. the trans is the automatic that came with it. we had intentions on rebuilding the 289, but figured since its out put something a little bigger in it. i dont plan on getting rid of the the 289 so i for any reason down the road i have to sell it the 289 will be put back in it. im not sure if its a HP but im pretty sure its not.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:58 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If you use a carburetor, you won't need any of that crap. An 87 is a 5.0 roller cam engine, and your 65 intake, or aftermarket carb setup, will bolt right on. Va-voom.
Thought only pass car motors were roller and the trucks were still using flat tappets.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

ok cool i will have to tell him that. the trans is the automatic that came with it. we had intentions on rebuilding the 289, but figured since its out put something a little bigger in it. i dont plan on getting rid of the the 289 so i for any reason down the road i have to sell it the 289 will be put back in it. im not sure if its a HP but im pretty sure its not.
You'll need to change the flywheel if you plan on keeping the original trans. You'll have to find a 50oz 157 tooth flywheel. The one on the motor is probably 50oz 164 tooth.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:04 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Thought only pass car motors were roller and the trucks were still using flat tappets.
Since it's not wearing a car or truck, we can't be sure of it's history, or year. However, since the intake manifold is off, it'd take about 3 seconds to find out for sure.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:14 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Since it's not wearing a car or truck, we can't be sure of it's history, or year. However, since the intake manifold is off, it'd take about 3 seconds to find out for sure.

XXX
Old 01-25-2011, 12:16 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
You'll need to change the flywheel if you plan on keeping the original trans. You'll have to find a 50oz 157 tooth flywheel. The one on the motor is probably 50oz 164 tooth.
Available, no problem.

Quick Reply: 1965 engine swap