Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

flo fit seats rant

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:29 PM
Gun Jam

Angry flo fit seats rant

Hey

So first off I think the flo fit seats look okay and feel good they are fairly adjustable and work and fit well in my 66.

However there is some pretty weak design points that are mission critical and done very poorly. I managed to break the back rest anchor point in a 2nd gear pull starting from 40ish.

I pulled the whole seat foam and all apart so i could repair it....The backrest support is far under designed and very weak..It uses only one bolt per side on the bracket to backrest and the bracket is secured to the seat by 2 bolts per side. The bolt from the bracket to seat was sheared which caused the entire backrest to fall on the rear seat.

The bolts go into a threaded steel collar that is welded to the seat frame only problem is they are secured by 4 tack welds. these are smallest possible tack welds one could produce with say a mig welder. There are 2 tack welds on the face and two tack welds on the end of the collar which goes completely through the seat frame on one side (2" long)..there are 4 collars on the seat frame 2 per side.

The collar with the sheared bolt also sheared all 4 tack welds and cracked the steel seat frame the collar was floating inside its seat frame socket. I dont know if this happened all at once or over time I kinda suspect from some wear marks that it was over time.

Holy **** guys! This ****er has to support the weight a person and should do so with a huge amount of spare load left over in the event of a rearend collision....double the amount of bolts on the bracket to backrest side, Use bolts twice as big and use a grade 8 not the **** that was in there and for ****s sakes welds the entire collar to the frame all the way around front and back inside and outside....

Glad I only bought one of these seats...its a shame because it really is a nice seat to sit in.

What seats would you guys recommend that are actually built good. Having a backrest that folds forwards is a huge plus what are my options?

-Gun

Last edited by Gun Jam; 02-01-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

What seats are they? Ive had my Flo Fit seat for about 8 years now in a sand rail and before that they were in my buddies 97 cobra.never had a problem
Old 02-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Gun Jam

humm good question...lets see

it looks exactly like this one except not that nasty of a color mines blue

http://www.seatsource.com/FlofitSeat...7/Default.aspx

its sold by NPD as flofit custom seat.

And for that price you would think they would give a **** about building it and maybe actually not tack weld a main support...Im not putting you on it really is the main support a 100% of the backrest load is supported by these bolts and bracket that's 3 bolts per side that mount into a collar that's not even properly welded to the frame. They used an m8 ungraded bolt the damn thing should be m10 10.9 grade minimum!! and there needs to be 4 per side not 3

Last edited by Gun Jam; 02-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:08 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I have the same ones, but i didnt pay for them , but still, my get beat up A LOT in the sand rail.I recently took them out to dye them for my fastback and nothing was wrong with them.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:25 AM
Gun Jam

Yeah I would imagine the sandrail would be harder on them than a 2nd gear powershift

The whole thing is held together by 1 8m non graded bolt granted that probably would not have broken if the 4 tack welds had been real welds and the collar had stayed put. the seat frame probably wouldnt have cracked if it didnt get slammed by the collar.

Go ahead remove the cover by the backrest release lever on the drivers side then remove the front most bolt on the bracket that bolts to the seat and then allow the entire backrest to fall towards the rear seat this will cause the bracket to lift up out of the way and expose the collar that the bolt fit into. pull the fabric away a bit from that collar and you'll see the two tack welds on the face of the collar 180 degrees apart that i am referring to.

I should have taken pictures but I was hauling butt trying to get it ready to weld at the neighbors house before he went to work
Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

They remind me a lot of a fiero seats wonder if they are the same or close.