Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

MustangFTW 67 resto thread.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:19 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by MustangFTW

wow i just found something nasty under my car what is this piece called?
I believe that's called RUST, jk, lol
Old 02-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

do you guys think its worth buying a MIG welder for 120$ or rent a Arc welder for 40$ for 4 hours?
You can NOT buy a MIG welder for $120 bucks, what you are probably seeing is a machine called a Flux Core welder. Big difference. A MIG welder uses gas in a separate gas container from the actual machine and it will run you upwards of $400 bucks including the tank, most run on 220 volts. It can weld up to 24 gauge sheet metal (the higher the number the thinner the metal) your mustang is about 19 gauge

A Flux Core cheap jobie runs on 110 volts and will burn right through the sheet metal, ask me how I know bro, I own the cheap machine you are refering to. Don't get me wrong they are great for welding thicker metal like the thickness of a quarter (as in money) or a bit thicker, but they splatter a lot. This machine does not use a gas tank, it uses a special wire that has the shielding built into it, actually around it. They claim to weld up to 18 gauge sheet metal but that is super optimistic.

Then there are the cheap 110 volt Flux Core / MIG welder combo units. They cost $200 bucks without the gas bottle. The gas tank will run you another $100 bucks, so for $300 you will have a mediocer machine.

just trying to help, I need a MIG machine too, I need to weld my floor boards too, check out the Eastwood machine and Lincoln or Miller are the top of the line (from what I've been told)

Last edited by Gregski; 02-18-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:03 AM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Look at holbart welders. If i remember right their made by miller. I have one and we have had it for years now and done over 20 cars with it and every little project we have had. Think it was around 400-500 and they dont come with the tank and yes you dont need a tank but for good welds its a must other wise u get bird shxt welds.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Hobart has some good cheap MIG welders.
I personally have a Lincoln 220v welder, it may be overkill but it's reassuring to know I can weld just about anything.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:43 PM
MustangFTW

Havent been doing anything lately to the Mustang, going to take it in for a quote on the frame rail work, both rails are now separating from the floor =.=
its probably caused by the HORRIBLE roads in MN, the city is too lazy to pay people to fox potholes bigger then my tires and theres one every 5 feet.

Im thinking of a Power to manual steering conversion. saw this piece on CJ pony parts for 150$ supposed to attached directly to the centerlink and pitman arm. anyone know if this is easy to do? pics?

Old 03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Im thinking of a Power to manual steering conversion. saw this piece on CJ pony parts for 150$ supposed to attached directly to the centerlink and pitman arm. anyone know if this is easy to do? pics?
You are thinking of going from Power Steering to Manual Steering? Really? That would be an interesting conversion. I, personally, have never heard of anyone doing this, but that doesn't really account for much.

I will have to keep an eye on your thread to see what people have to say about your conversion idea. Best of luck.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:26 PM
MustangFTW

Thanks for the input.

I heard of a few people doing it, and would like to do it myself. just wanted to know how hard it is to add this fitting between the centerlink and pitman arm would be, and which parts i would have to remove after doing this.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

I'm with Marc, why would you want to do that switch? Unless you wanna build arm muscle...

I mean, I've seen rack and pinion swaps, but that's different. Power to manual?...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:53 AM
MustangFTW

i like the feel of manual more then power. heres the piece i was talking about.
http://www.cjponyparts.com/borgeson-...7-1970/p/MSA2/

Old 03-14-2011, 01:51 PM
MustangFTW

Anyway, screw manual steering for now i have more annoying fish to fry :P
my front right side is squeaking like a mad man, mostly the right sometimes the left, only when i go over bumps or potholes. im pretty sure i have to lube somethin just not sure what/where to lube any info will be appreciated. Also i cant tell if my idle is correct seems a bit high to me but im not sure, if i put up a video of the car running would you guys be able tell if its too high or too low?

Quick Reply: MustangFTW 67 resto thread.