Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

K&N air filters

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default K&N air filters

I have been considering getting a K&N air filter system for some time now, but after a lot of research, I have found the following. K&N filters are not all they are cracked up to be. The cotton filter will not filter out fine dust particles, therefore eventually clogging your carb system. The reason folks use the K&N's is to get maximum air flow. Well, guess what? Maximum air flow is achieved by allowing these tiny dust particles to enter your system where paper filters don't allow. My brother used the K&N on his F-250 PSD for about a year, and found that the paper filters that Ford recommends actually filter better.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: K&N air filters

Very astute observation.

I used K&N filters on motorcycles successfully for years. I don't use them on my cars. The key to proper filtration is good maintenance. For someone like you, it would work well. You understand the importance of proper maintenance and go out of your way to make sure you stick to it.

For a lot of us, The air filter does not get properly maintained. K&N filters rely on fresh oil in the guaze. The fresh oil will suspend fine particulate. Key word here is "Fresh". This is where most people fail. Hold the filter up to the light and you'd swear it's still nice and clean, even when the oil has trapped all it's going to trap.

Glen, for you this product would work well. For others not used to maintaining things, I would steer away from it. It takes more maintenance than you would think. Maintained correctly these are awesome filters.

Just my two cents.

Scott
Old 08-25-2005, 08:32 PM
nualln
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, Scott's right.

K&N's are for people like us who open our hoods once a day, not on some '05 honda civic that is only going to get maintenance every 50K miles.

Put lotsa oil on it and it will be fine.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:32 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Not recommended for stock setups mostly because they are not needed. High performance, means high flow and high maintenance...
Old 08-26-2005, 01:36 AM
v6stangracer
1st Gear Member

to much oil is bad, this is a common problem i see at work (gm dealership) guys put there k&n on and do one of two things, forget to clean it so they cant get enough air, or put to much oil in it so it gets sucked threw and causes damage, i personally dont think its worth it when u can just buy a $20-$30 dollar air filter when its needed, but thats my opinion
Old 08-26-2005, 10:25 AM
jrrhd73must
3rd Gear Member

One note the Powerstrokes have a significant time with the K&N. I believe it is because the engine has the turbo and is sucking air. I put the Amsoil equivalent filter on my truck and the silicon levels increased in my oil analysis. I promtly removed it. On my harley and mustang, I have not seen an increase in silicon levels with the K&N. So I will not use them on supercharged or turbo cars. However regular cars and bikes are fair game.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

OK, it sounds as if I don't need one. Sure, I could maintain it, but what benefit over a Ford recommended paper filter would I receive? Nothing for my application as far as I can see. Now, if I had a race car, and needed maximum air flow for a short period of time, them I could see their benefit. But, I don't.