Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scott Drake "quality"

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 02:22 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I guess when you look at the ROI for setting up the tooling for a specific year it can be staggering. But if A guy had the ability to purchase or make a die set for a quarter panel, you could purchase a press on Ebay from some tired factory and make the part here. As it is those machines are getting shipped overseas or to south America, so they can make parts to sell to us.
The ROI is different depending on many factors, including, unfortunately, what country. I once made calls until I actually spoke to the guy at Anchor who decides which motor mounts get made. Asked him if they would consider re-issuing the 2286, which fits all 67 289's, and 68-72 smallblock convertibles. He asked me if I wanted 5,000 pair. When I said no, he laughed at me.

On the other hand, some of the Taiwan companies seem to be able to get by with 500 unit runs.

I've heard that Branda spent $30,000 for the 68 grille moulding. Even at $240 per, they'll likely never get their money back.

I'm pretty sure the Taiwanese can make their own tools. They've been making factory-installed parts for Ford, GM, etc. for years.
Old 03-20-2011, 02:37 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

I would think OEM would supply the tooling.
Old 03-20-2011, 04:21 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

I thought there was a Scott Drake member on this forum? Not a peep i guess.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:07 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cprstreetmachines
I would think OEM would supply the tooling.
"OEM" tooling would be owned by Ford. If it can be found, and if it can be used. The tool for the 71-72 mach1 grille was so badly pitted that it could only be used as a model for the repro. The tooling for the 69, 70, 71-72, and 73 fenders was actually destroyed. I'd be willing to bet a lot of the original tools were lost, damaged, or destroyed, before Ford figured out people would actually pay for it.

Even when it can be found, as in the case of 65-66 hoods and fenders, it had been used by Ford until it was worn out, then used some more, and had to be extensively repaired.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 03-20-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:12 PM
saa12

Default Scott Drake Products

Here we go....

Drakes Products are Quality, yes there are some Minor issues but they can always be taken care of.

If you repair or Restore cars you will always have minor part issues, and some parts are problematic no matter who makes them.

All suppilers try to make the best product for the least Money... The reason, all of us want the deal... No one wants to buy an other priced mouse trap..

I even buy parts from the OEM manufacturer that have issues and can not be returned....

SD trys it hardest and is one of the Best suppliers out there,,,,,

If you know a better one Please tell me...

Yes I am one of there dealers, By Choice.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by saa12
All suppilers try to make the best product for the least Money...
Just that there may be more than one quality/price point. I don't have any problem with that, as long as I can find one that suits me.

The reason, all of us want the deal... No one wants to buy an other priced mouse trap..
That may work at the entry-level or with the lowest common denominator buyer who isn't particularly fussy (or knowledgeable). And yes, I realize that there are probably enough people who fall into those categories that it gets a little easier for the manufacturers and sellers of various parts to ignore those of us who are by nature more demanding.

But don't assume that everybody's purchase decisions are driven by price alone.

As far as I'm concerned, to do so = fail . . . and ≠ my business.

Mostly I only work on my own cars. But I absolutely will spend a little more to get exactly what I'm after - following a little research. And this applies to pretty much anything, whether it be tires, engine parts, or suspension parts, or anything else. Replacing stock parts that still have useful life left with aftermarket upgrades during a modification project is one thing, but I absolutely don't want to be repeatedly "fixing" something that should be "set it and forget it" once it's been installed.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 03-22-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:41 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Here we go....

Drakes Products are Quality, yes there are some Minor issues but they can always be taken care of.

If you repair or Restore cars you will always have minor part issues, and some parts are problematic no matter who makes them.

All suppliers try to make the best product for the least Money... The reason, all of us want the deal... No one wants to buy an other priced mouse trap..

I even buy parts from the OEM manufacturer that have issues and can not be returned....

Yes I am one of their dealers, By Choice.
This car has a lotta Drake parts on it:

Old 03-22-2011, 11:27 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Who cares ? I mean really ? Is posting a picture of a car supposed to imply it's good quality or it won't fail because of the car it's on ? Just as pointless as posting a picture of a door saying it fits AFTER paint. Come on.

Here we go....

All suppilers try to make the best product for the least Money... The reason, all of us want the deal... No one wants to buy an other priced mouse trap..

Yes I am one of there dealers, By Choice.
Of course it's by choice. Spoken like someone trying to protect their gravy train. The reason people sell SD is because of the mark up. The day another company goes after the wholesale accounts they will be in trouble. Their parts in MANY areas are far superior. But the way they handle the problems is un professional to say the least. Every time you call to talk about it and you are blamed is ridiculous. Or how you can possible sent out 3 parts and none of them work. Sorry, been installing the parts for a living too long for you to try to tell me differently. Yes I know you say you've never had a problem. That's what you tried to tell me on the phone as well. I also 99% sure SD is the one who told you to post up. I got your number from them, and was the only number I got to sell this stuff to. I'm sure I can get another shop here locally to post up completely contradictory to your post as well. With all the other people saying there is quality issues, do you think anyone will really believe that there is a guy who has been doing it for over 10 years, and never had a problem....as you said on the other forum ?
Old 03-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
doesnt mean the parts are good, just means maybe that was all you had access too, plus that pic is how many feet away?

I havent bought parts in a long time, because most of the stuff i bought was before all the crap was released to the market.Also i dont pay pay retail, so it really didnt bother me. I do know the window regulators lasted me under a year.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:25 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
doesnt mean the parts are good, just means maybe that was all you had access too, plus that pic is how many feet away?
Here's another photo of that car. I gotta think it didn't suck from up close:

Last edited by 2+2GT; 03-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Scott Drake "quality"