Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Name that part! (please)

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 PM
PP Mguire

Question Name that part! (please)

New guy around asking odd questions, I'm sure you're used to it by now. Alright down to business. I have a 68 Mustang here with the little bitty 6 in it and what I believe is a 3 speed auto. Manual everything to the point to where you're better off putting your feet through the floor and Fred Flinstoning it.

Anyways, I have a slight delima as nobody I know can figure out exactly what this part I need is called so I can order/buy a replacement. Here are a few pictures with a general description.

I apologize my pictures aren't that great.

The item in question is supposed to be some sort of link cable or chain that hooks up to a piece attached to the gas pedal arm which is also attached to the throttle cable. I'm also being told this could be the main reason why my trani won't shift into 3rd gear.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:47 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

this is the kickdown cable that goes from that lever attached to ur throttle linkage and goes back to the tranny
Old 03-23-2011, 03:49 PM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

It's the transmission kickdown cable. It's the input to the trans that tells it how much throttle you're applying which controls the shift points so with it loose it thinks the throttle is at idle and shifts accordingly which is likely not at all. The other possibility which is impossible to tell in the pics is if it's loose due to the trans link being stuck in the wide open position and not taking up the slack at idle, the trans will shift at real high RPMs and shift hard.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:56 PM
PP Mguire

It's real loose because it appears somebody modded some sort of flimsy cable there (most likely electrical cable). I'm assuming since it's real loose that is why it is not shifting properly because it thinks I'm idling still, correct?

Anywhere I can purchase this part? Autozone, Oreily, online?

I just searched Autozone and came up with some other stuff under their performance tab. Not sure if any of it will work since I don't know what the original looks like.

Thanks for the immediate reply guys.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 AM
PP Mguire

Hate to bug you people but I'm really excited to get this car on the road and just want to make sure I order the right part.

Is this the cable that I need?

http://mustangproject.com/ProductDis...8-2327c3edcc23
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Any Mustang supplier can provide this cable, but yours may just be in serious need of adjustment. Unless the gas pedal is on the floor, there will always be slack in your cable.

Your biggest problem is the speedo cable and electrical wiring that's all over the place. Neither should be anywhere near the kickdown.

Adjust like this: Have a helper hold the gas pedal on the floor. Disconnect the cable from the throttle arm, and by turning the trunnion on the threaded end of the cable, adjust so that with the pedal floored, the cable will be pulled all the way.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:27 PM
PP Mguire

Well I want to buy an actual cable that has the intended purpose to replace what is there. The thing that is there is like some cable/piece of metal that does nothing when the gas pedal is pressed all the way due to too much slack. I can't adjust it at all since it's just a piece of whatever that is tied on. I suppose I could cut it or find something else as a replacement but to be sure I'd much rather have the real part =)
Old 03-27-2011, 03:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The real part is dead easy to get, Glazier/Nolan calls it G06459, and you can also get the complete kit, with cable, cable spring, spring bracket, and lever, G06669.