Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

what to do to a 69 w/302, all original

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:01 AM
penjak

Default what to do to a 69 w/302, all original

OK, after 7 years of pressure, a little old lady finally caved in and sold me her 1969 fastback. She is the original owner, California car, 68k miles, automatic, black cali plates, bill of sales, owners manual, etc,,, Car ( exterior & interior )is in reallly really good condition. Car has a 302, single exhaust, stock carb, intake, everything. A little less than my 351w,dual exhaust, etc that was in my 69 that I sold to get this new one. My old one needed a lot of work, who knows how many miles, engine swap, etc, so I consider this new car a major upgrade. But I miss the power and growl. Am thinking of upgrading a couple things but want to keep car as original as possible. So I'm thinking just doing the exhaust and carb swap. I don't even know if I want/should mess with intake. Thoughts, suggestions, warnings, tips, opinions????
Old 05-14-2011, 09:17 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I'm a little confused why you sold a 351 car with "growl" to get a clean, all original 302 car, which you now want to modify to get some "growl". I think it would be a real treat to go fer once to a car show and see a Mustang that didn't have a dual exhaust conversion. Heck, a single exhaust Mustang would probably draw a crowd at cruise night.

It'd be nice to be able to nail the gas without attracting cops.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 05-14-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

congratulations, is it a two or a four barrel carb, if it's a two barrel than obviously you need to swap the intake manifold when you swap to a four barrel carb. Where will you start the exhaust upgrade after the H pipe or at the block, ie exhaust manifold to long tube headers swap, etc.?

I would go through that fastback with a fine comb, check for rust, under the carpet and behind the headliner, brace yourself for a surprise, LOL - then if you are still looking for something to do, freshen up the electrical, that should keep you busy for a while, by bud just bought a '69 for his wife and he has his hands full, also in California (that don't mean shyt, it's not all palm trees here you know, we do have plenty of snow, salt, and moisture like anywhere else - it's a friggen big state)
Old 05-14-2011, 11:22 AM
penjak

My first 69 leaked more fluids than wikileaks, had obvious body damage with mediocre paint/ body work, half the gauges didn't work, shocks were gone, floor pan had holes, etc.
This new one has never been in accident, no bondo, doesn't leak, most weatherstripping still in great shape, paint still real good, all gauges work & look new, etc.
So that's why i sold 1 for the other. I probably should leave it ALL stock and just record a Mach 1 soundbite and play it on my smartphone while driving.
And if i do, i am completely undecided/ open to where i will start exhaust.
I had an offenhauser intake on last car but wasn't planning on getting that far into it. Thx for the replies
Old 05-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Pull the engine, put it in moth *****. Buy a Ford Crate motor, install and drive it. When you get ready to sell it put the numbers matching engine back in.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

First of all I love your sense of humor, the line below is classic.

Originally Posted by penjak
I probably should leave it ALL stock and just record a Mach 1 soundbite and play it on my smartphone while driving.
Originally Posted by penjak
This new one has never been in accident, no bondo,
I love to tear into comments like this, my buddies '69 was 4 hours of body work away from being re sprayed, said the previous owner, then it went to the shop for a 120 hour estimate, so my buddy sanded it down to bare metal himself, long story longer, LOL... the driver side door is made of bondo, except for the corners which are made out of rust, I am not trying to diminish your car obviously I can't see it, but it is hard to believe a 40 year old car would be bondo free
Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Congrats on the upgrade! I would suggest if you want more power to mothball the 302 like has been suggested along with the original exhaust. Run a crate motor with dual exhaust.

Sounds like a great car. Mine did not turn out as great as was suggested by the previous owner.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:39 PM
penjak

I know, i tend to believe the old lady. She has/had original touch up paint cans( maybe 2 ounces) that she got with car. Gave that to me. I can see where she used it here and there. A couple spots were paint is wearing thin on hard edges kind of indicate no repaints. Inside trunk lid same color just newer. I know last comment doesn't mean anything. She gave me pics of car frm day her parents bought it. Parked in same spot of her driveway when i picked up car as it was when photos were taken in 69.
I bought the car on mothers day( not the ideal day to surprise my wife ). Had to wait until mid week to break the good news ( depending how she takes it ) to her, and have been busy at work. I will detail car next couple of days and post some pics.
The one thing i need to do is upgrade brakes. When i converted the brakes on my wife's 68 coupe, prices were way way cheaper. Am i not looking in right place or are all conversion kits real pricey now. Any directions to good place to buy kit would be appreciated.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:15 PM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Sadly they have gone up in price from what I've seen and parts are more on any thing for a 69.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:20 PM
MustangFTW

disc brake conversion kits are expensive, 500$+ good luck with the car i love 69 fastbacks

Quick Reply: what to do to a 69 w/302, all original