Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new to this. clutch issues. please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
65vertable

hmmm the jack stands thing may work better for us.. im in a 'hoydy toyty' subdivision i don't think the neighbors would appreciate me ripping up and down the road lol. i can see the car shaking off of the stands tho.. but its worth a try... should i give it some gas in 1st after the engine starts then slam the brakes? could i start in 2nd or 3rd for a better chance of freeing it? or will 1st give me the most luck? or maybe brake/torque it in 1st gear? thanks guys!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 65vertable
hmmm the jack stands thing may work better for us.. im in a 'hoydy toyty' subdivision i don't think the neighbors would appreciate me ripping up and down the road lol. i can see the car shaking off of the stands tho.. but its worth a try... should i give it some gas in 1st after the engine starts then slam the brakes? could i start in 2nd or 3rd for a better chance of freeing it? or will 1st give me the most luck? or maybe brake/torque it in 1st gear? thanks guys!
Rear end axle housings firmly on jackstands, front wheels chocked. Nothing in front of the car. ( sorry for being Captain Obvious) Don't give it any gas, just let it idle in first gear. The wheels will spin fast enough. Push in the clutch pedal and then hit the brakes hard. The back wheels should lock and free the clutch disc. It's harsh but it works.
There may be a mechanical advantage to trying it in a higher gear, but I don't think it's necessary.

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 06-28-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:54 PM
65vertable

cool! il try it asap! im excited!!!! that's all that's left before i can drive this thing!! (around the block) :/ miles away from real driving, stupid carb leaks and the accelerator pump may be toast :/ plus the steering wheel has miles of slack in it... not to mention the car looks like it was banned from hell for being to much of a death trap.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 PM
65vertable

well had a crappy day today with the stang. had about 2 hours to work on it. my goal was to replace the carb accelerator pump, did not work + leaking.. found that not only did it not work.. the plastic cam rod that moves it was completely rusted stationary! so i had to remove that, sand and clean..lube.. reinstall everything, reused carb to manifold gasket. used grey silicone... noticed that there is one of thoes spacers on there... but anyway tried to start the eng and it would not start... used starting fluid and it woke right up. but will not hold idle... i ended up raising the idle rpm screw.. sounds ok i guess.. seems like it ran better before i messed with it.... still does not start without starting fluid!! wtf!! the jets are spraying when blipping the throttle... but not start with out SF... so anyway we moved on and put the rear on blocks.. 1st gear.. clutch to the floor. started the engine... let it run a sec with wheels spinning... slammed the brakes!.. hey no lines popped!!... neither did the clutch :/ so i try it again in 3rd gear.. nothing.. 1st was alot more abrupt.. went to restart the eng in 1st..... reeeeeeeeennnnn!!!!! reeeeeeeeeennnnn!!!! wtf is that? ahhhhh the starters now not engaging.. figured we chomped some flywheel teeth off.. so we turned the engine by hand 180*... still same... ok so starter gear snapped?.. starter gear not moving forward.? who knows at this point.... so ive ended the day with a crappier running carb. and unhappy and still glued clutch.. and now no starter... i dont like moving backwards. i hope autobone's open on the 4th...
Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

You certainly seem to have stepped in it. I see the stuck clutch as the most pressing problem, if you can get the car started.
The starter pinion gear is not engaging the flywheel. I doubt you chewed any teeth, that happens when you go to the start position and try to engage the pinion with the car already running. Fully charge the battery, clean all connections and really rotate the key fast and you should be able to get it to work at least somewhat. It'll be hit or miss. If you can't get it to engage, pull the starter and lube the shaft, lever and pinion area. If that doesn't do it... Buy a starter.
As to the carburetor problem... Put that on the back burner for now as long as you can get it running.
What happened when you mashed the brakes? Did the rear wheels lock? Did the engine stall? It shoulda worked. I'd think about trying it again, only this time giving it some gas. It's not a gentle event. The object is to stop the rotation of the drivetrain from the transmission input shaft back by using the rear brakes, and having the engine continue to spin. Because the clutch disc rotates with the input shaft it should stop too. It's either stuck to the flywheel or the pressure plate, both of which are attached to the crank which is still turning... Something's gotta give. Try it again with some RPMs. The alternative is to take it apart. Good luck.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 PM
65vertable

yeah i understood the science of the mashing the brakes and what was going to happen... i explained it to my father in law.. thought he got it but when i did it he was like holy crap!!! what did you do?! was it supposed to do that?! now whats wrong with the starter?!? i freaked him out apparently so il have to pursue him into doing that till it frees., but yeah i had the enging running with the wheels turning in 1st gear, clutch down. when i slammed the brakes the rear brakes locked up very quickly and the engine instantly died without struggle. going back tomorrow morning. being that the eng wont start without starting fluid kind of let us down... dont know why else? but at least it will run. il try some rpms.. i might even punch the throttle at the same time that i slam the gas.. im not even sure if the 2ndaries will open.. wonder if i need to adjust the accel pump rod?? i mean it starting up on its own 17 years ago in that position..... wondering if there is an inspection plate of sorts that i can remove from the trans and pry the clutch with a long narrow prying tool? or maybe soaking it in PB blaster? then if it frees use loads of brakes clean to remove the PB? dont know. :/