Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need Help/Information - 1971 Mach-1

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Crist Clapper

Default Need Help/Information - 1971 Mach-1

There is a 1971 Mach-1 for sale and I need some experienced advice/information. Am I at the right place/forum and thread?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
dmaclaren
2nd Gear Member

Go on, what specific?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Crist Clapper

For starters... What determines actual mileage? For example... If the engine/transmission have been rebuilt... Does the original mileage still apply?
Old 10-22-2011, 08:19 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Mileage on older cars is really hard to prove it can be 40k or 240k so it don't matter too much when it comes to price of the car.With all old cars rust and things wrong will bring the price down.First thing is look at the vin its the only way to tell a true mach1 a sport roof can be dressed up like one but the vin will tell.The 3rd spot on the vin should say 05 that means mach1 if it says 02 then its just a sport roof which makes it worth less then a mach1.The next letter is the engine code http://www.themustangsource.com/time...3/71/index.htm that is the list its easier then me typing it all lol.If the car runs and drives 5k up if the paint and body is good and most of the interior is nice around 8k is a good price.Now if its a factory big block car the prices will jump up a lot more then that.Get some pictures we can give you a ball park number on a price.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Crist Clapper

I can't thank you-all enough! Here is the description - Pictures below:

This Mustang is a real deal Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland V8 power plant, and a 4 speed manual transmission. We were told by the previous owner that the engine and trans are numbers matching. Due to the location of the numbers on the block, we cannot verify this. There are numbers on the transmission, but I cannot read them clearly, so we are not representing this Mustang as a numbers matching car. Based on the information on the door trim tag, we can verify that it is a real Mach 1, 351 V8, 4 speed car, wearing the correct “C” code Dark Green Metallic paint, with the correct “5R” Medium Green Interior.

A retired gentleman owned the car for the past 6 years. He took it to car shows and cruise nights frequently. He is an avid Corvette collector, but wanted to have something a little different, and fun to drive, and not worry so much about where he parked and such. A couple of times a year, he took the car to local drag strips, Englishtown, and Island Dragway, NJ. He is an old school racer from way back, and quite experienced in quarter mile racing. He stated that he could run in the upper 12 seconds with this car!! (With different tires of course). He purchased the car 6 years ago from the second owner, who performed most of the work on the car. Restored in 1999 – 2000, to be exactly what it is. A great, fun driver, that is respectable at any cruise night, car show, or quarter mile track.

Mechanical Specs: 351 Cleveland V8, rebuilt, bored .30 over, ¾ race cam with solid lifters, Holly 750 single pump carburetor, w/ Moroso throttle body spacer, High Flow water pump, MSD Ignition w/ Blaster Coil, Blue Streak Starter, 3 Core Radiator, Rebuilt 4 speed trans, Hurst Shifter, w/ Line Lock Button, Autometer tachometer w/ shift light, Factory Ford Rear, w/ 4.56 gears (can be changed easily if you preferred something else), New shocks, brakes, suspension (at time of restoration), 15’’ Ford wheels with new Radial Tires. This car is street legal, and runs on any premium 92 octane pump gas.

Car was painted at time of restoration. It is not perfect, but is a very presentable driver, cruise night car. As seen in some of the pictures, there are some small scratches, stone chips, etc. However, you can also see my reflection in the paint as well, which shows this wasn’t an Earl Scheib paint job either!! (Earl Scheib was a discount paint company, like Maaco, that used to offer entire car paint jobs for $29.95!) Bumpers are painted, all other chrome and trim shines well. Glass is clear and not scratched. Looks to be original. Underneath car is undercoated, but it’s not thick - so there are no suprises, and appears very solid. There was a new trunk pan installed, and 2 floor sections cut in under the front seat area. All replacement factory panels were used, not cheap sheet metal, so you can see from the pictures it was a professional job, and looks good. Frame rails are solid and rust free. As far as suspension, this car rides and handles like a new one! Extremely tight, and a pleasure to drive. There are NO annoying rattles, shaking, or noises. Car goes down the road very straight, and all you hear is horsepower! Interior is in great condition! There are No rips or tears in the seats or dash. All gauges are clear and work accurate, except the clock.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Mileage is nothing with these cars. Condition and originality is everything. Besides, I've seen rental cars under 10,000 miles that had the snot beat out of them, while my 165,000 mile daily driver burns a pint of oil in 3000 miles.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:12 PM
musnicki
3rd Gear Member

Damn, thats a very nice looking car.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Crist Clapper

I agree... It is a looker. But what is appropriate to pay for it?
Old 10-23-2011, 11:42 AM
TommyK
1st Gear Member

As 2+2GT has said it is all about condition. You need to know what you are looking at with a car like this because there is some questionable workmanship in some of the modifications and they admit to previous rust repairs the quality of which would be suspect IMO. Do not buy a car like this sight unseen. IF the cowl, floor pans, rockers, trunk, frame extensions etc all check out as rust free then maybe 10-12K?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Crist Clapper

This Mach-1 was recently bid to $14,xxx on eBay sight-un-seen... But the buyer did not pay. My only gauge on what is appropriate to pay is eBay. And so many are un-drivable at this price. That said… I too am concerned by the previous restorations done in 2000-ish.

More feedback/opinions please!

Here is a link to the folks who have it for-sale:

http://rightpedalauto.com/vehicledet...VID=141947022#

Originally Posted by TommyK
As 2+2GT has said it is all about condition. You need to know what you are looking at with a car like this because there is some questionable workmanship in some of the modifications and they admit to previous rust repairs the quality of which would be suspect IMO. Do not buy a car like this sight unseen. IF the cowl, floor pans, rockers, trunk, frame extensions etc all check out as rust free then maybe 10-12K?

Quick Reply: Need Help/Information - 1971 Mach-1