Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Everything was going great until..

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 11:49 PM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Default Everything was going great until..

So i just recently installed new KYB schocks on my 67, with addition to the lowered springs and 1 1/8 sway bar that I already had on the car. Nothing feels better than when you install new upgrades on your car then go take a test drive and feel the difference.

So anyways, I test drove the sh**T out of the car today, and it was all fun up until I was a block away from home, when I came a stop sign, I hear a loud "POP" sound. I pulled over, looked under the car, found nothing. Then as i slowly drove it home, the car kept pulling to the right. I jacked up the car and found nothing broken or loose or out of place. It does however, seem like I knocked the alignment out of place. If that's possible I think this is probably the second time I managed to do that.
What do you guys think it is?? has anyone else had this problem?

I wanna say it could be the inner and outter tie rods but, I keep all my bushings greased and every time I've taken it to an alighment shop they've always inspected the tie rods and I've been told their in good shape.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:14 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I have knocked a car out of alignment after i hit a curb kinda hard,If its pulling to one side out of the blue you did that or something broke.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Check the lower control arm cam bolts.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:45 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I think I would look everything over VERY carefully before driving again.

While ball joints and like seldom fail, sometimes they do.

Did you install new poly strut rod bushings (or does that matter on a 67?)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 AM
sideshow_downs
1st Gear Member

Do you have lowering blocks in the rear? You might have broken the locating pin off of it. I broke one on a lowered S10 and it pulled because the axle could shift around
Old 10-31-2011, 12:51 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

Sounds like your coil spring seated itself into the pocket. It may have shifted when you lowered the car off the jackstand, and then popped into place as the load shifted forward at the stop sign. That would change you toe slightly and cause a pull or push.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:02 PM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I have knocked a car out of alignment after i hit a curb kinda hard,If its pulling to one side out of the blue you did that or something broke.
It's funny that you meantion that. When i bought the car, I had to find out the hard way that the car had perviously been hit on the passenger side. Of course the owner never told me that but, the lower valance was dented on the passenger side and when i first put on the 1" lowering springs on, only the passenger wheel would rub on the fender. If you look real carefully at the passenger fender compared to the driver's side you'll see a bit of a difference. as if it was bent, then pushed back in. Maybe someone did hit a curb with this car but, I just want to be able to enjoy driving it however I please without throwing my alignment off.
Old 11-04-2011, 02:04 PM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

Everything seems to look ok, nothing broken or out of place. Maybe Groho has a point too
Old 11-04-2011, 03:07 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Before you drive the car again immediately check the lower control arm bushings for damage/ looseness. I had a 63 nova way back when (same front end style) and when the SRB wore out, the thing would almost swap lanes when braking.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:20 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

the 67 have an excenter at lower arm for adjustment. Check if that is loose. Happened to a buddy of mine. no pop, but alignment completly out suddenly

Quick Reply: Everything was going great until..