Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New aftermarket Sheet Metal???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 02:34 PM
dencoupe

Default New aftermarket Sheet Metal???

2012 is going to bring some new sheet metal to the aftermarket. This offer is not from any current companies offering sheet metal. Is this something restoration shops and do it your selfers would be interested in? This will be a product that has been retooled to account for current fit and finish issues. Spring time for 65-66 doors, fenders, 65 cowl and full floors with correct drain hole size. The list get's bigger. Prices will match and or be better then existing. WHAT SAY YOU!?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

It's too late for me on this car, but maybe on the next go round...

I would like more info tho.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:04 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

I hope you got very deep pockets for quality tooling costs, any applicable Ford license fees for tooling someone else's trade marked work and designs, lawyers fees for said licenses, fees, and any contracts Ford may want for you to legally sell their fenders and likeness there of, etc....

Depending on your quality, yes there may be an interest in your wares once you get through all the legal mumbo jumbo to be able to sell them so Ford doesn't slap you with a C&D order to stop production.

However I'm sure you have those small little details worked out though.

Good luck with your venture.
Lynn

Last edited by LynnBob Mustang; 11-21-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:16 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Oh, and be sure to make the 65 floor pan, nobody makes the correct one right now for the hard top cars.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:19 AM
dencoupe

The purpose of this thread was to get a consensus from Mustang owners and restoration shops to see if there is true interest in a new product. The legal end of it will be taken care of by those who are producing it. I am looking at this from a restoration and retail standpoint. How does this help a restorer to save customer cost on the project and provide the best results? Retail wise, a store will have a product they can stand behind and really feel good about selling to the Mustang enthusiasts. The do it your self Mustang owner will be able to tackle a project knowing he or she can start with the best available at a good price.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

If you can produce quality fitting parts I would be all over it in a heartbeat if I were to do another project like our '65 coupe.
I put a repop full driver side rocker panel in our '65 coupe that was a full 1" too tall but also 3/8"+ too wide, there is no excuse for that garbage. It came with the car when we bought it, so I made it work, but when they say parts may need "massaging" that is way over board.
Lynn
Old 11-22-2011, 07:13 AM
dencoupe

We cut off all used rockers from parts cars. I would rather be honest and up front with a customer and loose the sale then have someone pissed off at us for selling something that does not fit. The big boys can work off a big return percentage along with upset customers. I like to sleep at night.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Couper
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=dencoupe;7756591]The purpose of this thread was to get a consensus from Mustang owners and restoration shops to see if there is true interest in a new product. QUOTE]

How could anyone say "no"?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

The majority of the sheet metal I've dealt with on my 66 coupe has been junk. Most of the original is 18g and easy to weld, where repop is 16g and melts like butter. My only suggestion for what it's worth, keep to the original thickness as much as possible. It makes for much better welding and easier to finish.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:58 PM
OkBrent
1st Gear Member

I have spent thousands on sheetmetal the last 6 months and it all sucks! Rocker panel inch higher and inch wider that stock. floor pans with lip rolled up on one and down on the other. Inner fender panels that dont come close to matching the firewall. Radiator support thats as rippled as a potato chip. I could go on.....It kills me how hard it is for them to make these parts. O, don't let me forget the floor pan's bead rolls came across the floor brace. Had to be sectioned and moved a inch. Terrible, The better stuff I have received has come from Spectrum. Brent