Search

Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 05-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
goldrush031619

Vehicle: 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe
Default Brake lines- DO IT YOURSELF

I have a 69 mustang coupe. I have manual drum brakes on all four wheels. I would like to replace all the brake lines. I've found only 1 set from California Mustangs that are "Pre bent" for $137. Our should I just buy straight ones from O'Reillys auto and try to bend them my self? I have no experience with the bending tool to do it myself, so I'm wanting anyones thoughts on how easy or hard it is to learn how to bend the tubes. And is it worth the savings or just spend the $137 and get them already bent?

Thanks for the input,
Joe
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
goldrush031619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
eZ
5th Gear Member

I would buy the straight ones and teach yourself how to bend them. Buy a good bending tool not a cheap one. Watch a youtube on bending the lines its very easy. That way if you do any mods (disc breaks, 9 inch rear etc.) to the car in the future that require you to relocate the lines a diff way you can do it.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
keithnra
1st Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eZ View Post
I would buy the straight ones and teach yourself how to bend them. Buy a good bending tool not a cheap one. Watch a youtube on bending the lines its very easy. That way if you do any mods (disc breaks, 9 inch rear etc.) to the car in the future that require you to relocate the lines a diff way you can do it.
x2 its not hard to do
78 KZ 1000
keithnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
goldrush031619

Vehicle: 1969 Ford Mustang Coupe

Great advice, thank you. I will surely be upgrading in the future to disc brakes
goldrush031619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1966 Mustange coupe

agree with the others. I'd like to offer IMO, the spring type benders work good for gradual bends. Anything else really needs the lever type bender that has the angles. You will also need a double flare tool because not all of the pipes are going to end up perfectly to a manufactured end.

Harbor freight is one place to look for the tools.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang, 69 F100

a job you can do on your own for sure, brake lines are the easiest to bend, and since they are so thin you can do alot of the shaping with your hands if needed (unless they are stainless). Dont forget to get a flaring tool, im sure they can be rented.

edit* i should really read the other posts, i just repeated what everyone else said...
Old 05-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Mach 1

prebent is nice and will save a couple hours of labor.

it's easy to make one wrong 90 degree bend and then have a piece of scrap (unless you double flare and put on a coupler...).

Last edited by BuckeyeDemon; 05-29-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: grammar
BuckeyeDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
67 newb
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang coupe

I bought the pre-bent ones. It saves a bit of time, but I found that it it didn't fit perfectly and required additional bending/modifying.

Try to keep the original line in 1 piece and use it as a reference.
67 newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #9
Gun Jam

Send a message via ICQ to Gun Jam Send a message via AIM to Gun Jam Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Jam

because of its hardness stainless is more difficult to work with and tends to not seal as well. I believe the general consensus is to avoid using it. I know at least one member here who had issues with it. My advice is to read up further on stainless before you decide if its a good idea. I dont personally have any experience with it...just a thought.

Masters of Industrial Technology intelligence thats why I own guns made to drop elephants.
Gun Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM   #10
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1969 Mach 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Jam View Post
because of its hardness stainless is more difficult to work with and tends to not seal as well. I believe the general consensus is to avoid using it. I know at least one member here who had issues with it. My advice is to read up further on stainless before you decide if its a good idea. I dont personally have any experience with it...just a thought.
i did mine in stainless. i had to do a lot of rework due to a different master cylinder, addition of a line lock, proportioning valve and residual valve. it definately was more difficult. but everything is sealed up.

i personally wouldn't tell someone to avoid it, and instead indicate it will take more effort to make work and involve more expensive tooling if the need for a double flare arises.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:09 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
1969, 1996, brake, coupe, ford, line, lines, mustang, size