Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Exterior
Print Wikipost

ARRRRGH! The squeak is driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 08:44 PM
jaw1962

Default ARRRRGH! The squeak is driving me nuts

I have a squeak in the front end that is driving me nuts. It does not show up until I drive for a few minutes. but then the tiniest bump brings it out. It sounds like new rubber against new metal. I took it to the shop a couple weeks ago and told them to lube everything that can be lubed. Not sure what all they did but the squeak is still there. I can bounce the car before I leave and no squeak. When I get home and bounce it there is a non-stop squeak. I unhooked the shock (which is new) and the squeak was still there. There are new bolts/rubber bushings on the bolt that connects the sway bar to whatever that arm is called, which is new. New rubber bushings and new arm led me to believe that was where the squeak was from. I replaced the rubber bushings with poly ones based on the advise of a friend who thought that would make the squeak go away. It didn't. Now I'm not sure what else to try. Is it possible I tightened the bolt too much? Does it require some sort of grease between the bushings and the arm? The shop that installed it did not grease it. I don't remember having the squeak before I had the new ball joints installed. Any advice??

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:15 AM
groho
4th Gear Member

check your spring perches, and make sure the springs are seated in the pockets and the rubber is centered so the spring don't touch metal on metal anywhere. I also recall that poly bushings require a thin coat of lube between the bushing and the sway bar to prevent squeaking.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:22 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

sounds like it could be a coil spring
Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

dry ball joints will make one hell of a squeak. if you haven't' lube em
Old 06-18-2012, 05:56 PM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Could be your upper control arms. They squeak like crazy when the need lubed. If you have zerks on them at all they are hard to get to - that why you see some mustangs with holes punched into the shock tower. I shot some wd up in mine and squeak when away temporary but would come back pretty quickly - eventually replaced them. Put 90degree zerks on so I could get to it in the future.

You can check you sway bars same way - little wd 40. Some told me the trick when you put them on is wrap some teflon tape around bar where moutning tabs go.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:52 AM
jaw1962

I put a little wheel bearing grease on the sway bar bushings and the squeak was still there. So I ran it by the shop. The owner of the shop had me bounce it while he got under the car and feels pretty strong that it is the upper ball joints. I already had the lower ones replaced so it didn't surprise me when he said he thinks its the upper ball joints. I've used up my car fund money so I have to replenish it a little before I have the work done. Any chance a shot of WD40 will quiet it down a little? I suppose I should probably not drive it too much until it is done. right?

Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by palerider
Could be your upper control arms. They squeak like crazy when the need lubed. If you have zerks on them at all they are hard to get to - that why you see some mustangs with holes punched into the shock tower. I shot some wd up in mine and squeak when away temporary but would come back pretty quickly - eventually replaced them. Put 90degree zerks on so I could get to it in the future.
On a classic era car, this is the most common cause of a front end suspension noise. Unfortunately, palerider is correct. Long term fix is to put in fresh parts and make sure they have grease fittings this time.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:06 PM
synthartist69
2nd Gear Member

A Frame bushings will squeak like crazy on a classic Mustang. I replaced mine 3 years ago, no squeaking since!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The upper control arm squeak is practically standard equipment in these cars. You need to get the special Mustang grease fittings installed if you don't already have them, and pump some grease in there. The squeak will almost certainly vanish immediately, even if the shafts are worn.