Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New 302 crankshaft in old 289 block.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 AM
Zimbo

Default New 302 crankshaft in old 289 block.

Yes.. I know it's not worth it really.. only 11ish HP but I really want to do it.. but my question is I know the old 302 cranks have 2 piece rear main seals and the newer ones have 1 pieces.. can you fit / make a 1 piece fit into a 60s 289 block? I only ask becuase the newer 302 forged crankshafts are a bit cheaper than a machined one to fit in a 60s or 70s 302. at leas from what i've been looking at

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-...347-crank.html

Post #2 says
You can use a crank that is designed for a one piece seal in an older (302, 289) block without modification. But in order to use a crank that is made for a 2 piece rear seal in a 5.0 block, you have to grind off the "slinger" at the back of the crankshaft. Can be done at home easily if you're careful. I used a bench grinder. I also used an old block on another crank, a couple bearings in the block, have someone spin the crank slowly with a cordless drill on low speed, and use an angle grinder to evenly remove the "slinger". If it's cast crank, it grinds VERY easily. Just make sure you have eye, ear, AND breathing protection. Cast iron dust is not nice. Makes ya have black boogers for a week!

"""You can use a crank that is designed for a one piece seal in an older (302, 289) block without modification.""" <-- true? or not
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zimbo
Yes.. I know it's not worth it really.. only 11ish HP but I really want to do it.. but my question is I know the old 302 cranks have 2 piece rear main seals and the newer ones have 1 pieces.. can you fit / make a 1 piece fit into a 60s 289 block? I only ask becuase the newer 302 forged crankshafts are a bit cheaper than a machined one to fit in a 60s or 70s 302. at leas from what i've been looking at

http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/all-...347-crank.html

Post #2 says
You can use a crank that is designed for a one piece seal in an older (302, 289) block without modification. But in order to use a crank that is made for a 2 piece rear seal in a 5.0 block, you have to grind off the "slinger" at the back of the crankshaft. Can be done at home easily if you're careful. I used a bench grinder. I also used an old block on another crank, a couple bearings in the block, have someone spin the crank slowly with a cordless drill on low speed, and use an angle grinder to evenly remove the "slinger". If it's cast crank, it grinds VERY easily. Just make sure you have eye, ear, AND breathing protection. Cast iron dust is not nice. Makes ya have black boogers for a week!

"""You can use a crank that is designed for a one piece seal in an older (302, 289) block without modification.""" <-- true? or not
Hi,
Sorry no direct experience in installing a later 302 into a 289 block. But the procedure for crank modification seems straight forward. But, I would modify the bearing housing to accept the one piece seal, if I were doing the installation. Anyway, since the strokes are different, you do know the piston/rods will need to be changed?
Good Luck!
Old 07-21-2012, 11:34 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Don't forget you need to change the rods as well. Probably cheaper to just find a newer 302 and rebuild it. I got my 1990 302HO for $300 (and it's a roller block), made a great base to build off of. All the bolt holes will line up for the accessories, rip out the fuel injection put on a stealth or air gap intake and a holley carb.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:39 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

aren't the factory 302 cranks that have one piece seals also 50 oz?
Old 07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Zimbo

I would prefer to keep this block.. and what do you mean by "modify the bearing housing" Kenash?

And yes.. the rods need to be changed and it's getting new pistons.. it was locked up when i got it.. whoever ran it last had it burning oil and overheating.. that oil was NASTY.. i can't believe it ran when it was parked
Old 07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

While the machine shop has the block, you can have them machine the block/rear main cap to accept a one-piece rear main seal.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:23 AM
kenash
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Zimbo
I would prefer to keep this block.. and what do you mean by "modify the bearing housing" Kenash?

And yes.. the rods need to be changed and it's getting new pistons.. it was locked up when i got it.. whoever ran it last had it burning oil and overheating.. that oil was NASTY.. i can't believe it ran when it was parked
Hi,
Ditto for Starfury's comments. That's what I was eluding too.