Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:29 PM
thefrizo

Default Transmission Issue

I'm new to this website, but I've seen many threads on issues I've needed to resolve before, and many of your replies helped. I'm currently restoring a 1968 Mustang Coupe with a 289 in it and a c4 transmission. Recently, I've lost all ability to put my car into reverse. I put it at a friends house (he works on old cars) and it was fine for a day or so, but then something went bad. We thought it was just the filter, because it was all dirty. We cleaned the pan out, got a new gasket and filter, and replaced all of the fluid. The problem still exists. The car itself will go into drive, but it sounds like it has problems switching gears while driving, which makes me think it could be the modulator valve? I want your opinions on what could be the issue, because if I don't have to pay to rebuild the transmission, I don't want to. Oh, and some of my other friends suggested a complete flushing of the transmission? What should I do?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:52 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by thefrizo
I'm new to this website, but I've seen many threads on issues I've needed to resolve before, and many of your replies helped. I'm currently restoring a 1968 Mustang Coupe with a 289 in it and a c4 transmission. Recently, I've lost all ability to put my car into reverse. I put it at a friends house (he works on old cars) and it was fine for a day or so, but then something went bad. We thought it was just the filter, because it was all dirty. We cleaned the pan out, got a new gasket and filter, and replaced all of the fluid. The problem still exists. The car itself will go into drive, but it sounds like it has problems switching gears while driving, which makes me think it could be the modulator valve? I want your opinions on what could be the issue, because if I don't have to pay to rebuild the transmission, I don't want to. Oh, and some of my other friends suggested a complete flushing of the transmission? What should I do?
Step 1. Check the fluid level.
Step 2. Slipping and not being able to engage R is not typically a modulator problem. Check that the shifter is properly placing the selector on the side of the trans into the correct detent- if this is OK -Sorry but its an internal issue and changing all the fluid isn't going to fix it.