Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coil Voltage? Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM
Ben Samuel

Default Coil Voltage? Where to start?

I bought a 67 mustang coupe that the former owner has had a 351C 2v forced into it. The car ran great till a few days ago when my wife was driving it. She said it stalled and when she tried to restart it the starter would not engage. So I replaced the starter (Almost impossible to get to thru the headers) and went to start the engine. It kicked over for a second and then acted as if it was getting no spark. I noticed my ballast resistor had a broken post so i figured that was the culprit. After replacing the resistor I still have no spark. I measured the voltage coming to the ballast resistor and only have 6-7 volts going in and only reading 1.2-1.5 volts coming out at the positive side of my coil. Reading various posts I was convinced i should have more than that and i read that maybe i could run a jumper from my battery terminal to the positive side of the coil and see if it started. When connecting the jumper wire my electric fuel pump started up. I didn't think that this was good but tried to start the car anyway. As soon as i turned the key to the on position my fuel pump sounded like it had double the power going to it than it normally has and the engine still did not start. Should i rewire the fuel pump to make sure it is on its own circuit? Where are the likely places to check for voltage drops? Voltage to the ballast resistor should be ???? Voltage to the coil should be ???? Thanks for any help or info.

Oh the engine has an accel Super Coil and a Mallory dual point distributor.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Ben Samuel

ripped into the distributor today and found it has an electric eye. so i guess it doesnt have a dual point distributor. Still not getting the voltage i need to the coil and havent figured out why my fuel pump kicked on after connecting my jumper wire.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ben Samuel
I bought a 67 mustang coupe that the former owner has had a 351C 2v forced into it. The car ran great till a few days ago when my wife was driving it. She said it stalled and when she tried to restart it the starter would not engage. So I replaced the starter (Almost impossible to get to thru the headers) and went to start the engine. It kicked over for a second and then acted as if it was getting no spark. I noticed my ballast resistor had a broken post so i figured that was the culprit. After replacing the resistor I still have no spark. I measured the voltage coming to the ballast resistor and only have 6-7 volts going in and only reading 1.2-1.5 volts coming out at the positive side of my coil. Reading various posts I was convinced i should have more than that and i read that maybe i could run a jumper from my battery terminal to the positive side of the coil and see if it started. When connecting the jumper wire my electric fuel pump started up. I didn't think that this was good but tried to start the car anyway. As soon as i turned the key to the on position my fuel pump sounded like it had double the power going to it than it normally has and the engine still did not start. Should i rewire the fuel pump to make sure it is on its own circuit? Where are the likely places to check for voltage drops? Voltage to the ballast resistor should be ???? Voltage to the coil should be ???? Thanks for any help or info.

Oh the engine has an accel Super Coil and a Mallory dual point distributor.

You typically need 12 volts to the coil to power most electronic ign systems and typically the coil has to be replaced to tolerate the increased voltage. If you can furnish a coil PN or model we can see what voltage it needs.

I'm not sure why there's a balast resistor installed as the mustang uses a pink resistor wire to the coil for that function.
Lastly yes the fuel pump should be on it's own circuit and a lot of folks wire a toggle switch in series to turn it on and off.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Ben Samuel

Thanks for the post. Okay so today i disconnected the tach wires and low and behold i immediately had spark again. Now that I have the engine started and running I just need to figure out how the last owner messed up the tach's wiring. Strange very Strange.