Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Any benefit to.......?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:20 PM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

Default Any benefit to.......?

Ive just sprayed in Lizard Skin Sound & Heat control. I was wondering if there any benefit to adding something like Dynamat on top of it. Sence Ive got it laying around. Or is there no benefit to doubling up.

As always , thanks!
Old 11-21-2012, 05:07 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

In general there is no reason not to double up, but if you have any areas in your interior that are not treated, you will get more total damping putting it onto bare metal. Of course, the closer you are to noise sources, like the firewall, the more benefit you will get.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:59 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I wouldn't add the dynamat its good enough with the lizard skin and the dynamat you have to stick it down use a roller and tape the seams its hard on the back.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 AM
eatmyjeep
1st Gear Member

Thats what i keep hearing, but Im not looking for good enough if i was? i would have Not have up-graded the suspension, steering, breaks, engine , trans, ect...... I would have just rebuilt the stock stuff. What Im interested in, is whether or not there is a benefit to doubling up. Once you deadin the resonance of the sheet metal, is that as far as you can go to block sound in your car?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

It depends on if you lizard skinned just the floor or the whole car trunk inside the doors and under the roof.You get what im saying the car is basicly a metal box make sure you get all sides it should be fine with just one type of sound deadening on it.On mine i did dynamat everywhere and put the factory sound deaden back its pretty quiet on the road i can still hear my exhaust but none of the road noise i had before.

Last edited by andrewmp6; 11-24-2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I am a firm believer that it is tough to have too much insulation. If you have it, use it. Go ahead double it up. Make sure you put it under the back seat too. I don't have any under my seats in the fastback and after being stuck in traffic for over an hour this weekend my daughters were really complaining about how hot their seats were.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:55 PM
rbowmar
2nd Gear Member

Even LizardSkin recommends adding additional sound damping on their web site. Make sure you do the whole inside of the car-floor, doors, firewall, roof, under the hood, trunk. Seal everything air tight-door seals, firewall, door panels, floor, etc.

LizardSkin and other sound control supplier sell add-on foam to absorb additional sound. Don't forget the oem sound absorbing material from the floor, etc.

How much you need depends on how quiet you want your car to be.