Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.
View Poll Results: A poll
good old sandpaper
33.33%
sandblasting
55.56%
chemical(and what type)
0%
other(what?)
11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

rust removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 02:54 AM
BillyBobJoe
4th Gear Member

Default rust removal

some of you have seen my pony and know there is a lot of rust. we all have it but what's the best bay to remove such massive amounts of it. when I wake up tomorrow, i'll begin stripping the car down and seeing what i can save.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:15 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: rust removal

Bead (media) blasting with walnut shells, etc., or sand blasting if you know what you are doing is the fastest way to get off the old paint. Once you can see the damage, then you can decide if the part needs to be replaced, or mended with a patch, or just needs to have a good coat of POR 15 applied. Block sanding is a very time and physically consuming way to get the paint off, and difficult to get into all the crevices. Chemical removal is a nasty way to do it, and not environmentally friendly.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:53 PM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

ive tried everything so far except for sandblasting. they are all unpleasant. i am borrowing a friend's sandblaster once i finish some other work this week to do the underneath and other areas of the car. Soaring, you said, "or sand blasting if you know what you are doing", do you have any tips on how to do it. i dont need to screw anything up too badly.
thanks,
carl
Old 10-04-2005, 04:09 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah Carl, if you hold the wand in one place too long with the sand, it will warp the metal. I would suggest if you choose this route, that you do some practicing on other metals before attempting sand blasting your car. Media blasting is not quite so harsh.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:17 PM
harald
1st Gear Member

had my stang completely soda blasted and galvanized, then the body shop had its way with it. add a royal serving of dinitrol on the underside. hope it withstands belgian weather. still, really nice if you see it coming back after blasting, there is nothing left rust or paintwise, and not warped if done proffesionally like soaring pointed out...
Old 10-05-2005, 06:52 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

wow harald, i bet the process that you took your car through cost more than my car in all.

Sandblasting is definitely the most efficent way to clear rust, but as with anything else in america, efficencey comes with a nice price tag.
Also, as Soaring mentioned, be careful with sandblasting it is very easy to mess up the metal, make sure to move the blaster around and not hold it in one place for to long.

The ideal way to sand would be to use a good ol' Sander, then using a sandblaster to reach any hard to get to areas, Jams, corners/crevices, underneath the car, etc. Good luck
Old 10-06-2005, 06:08 AM
KTM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 351foxstang

ive tried everything so far except for sandblasting. they are all unpleasant. i am borrowing a friend's sandblaster once i finish some other work this week to do the underneath and other areas of the car. Soaring, you said, "or sand blasting if you know what you are doing", do you have any tips on how to do it. i dont need to screw anything up too badly.
thanks,
carl
If you think that all other ways are unpleasent you will hate sandblasting. It is really the best way to do that job, but it ain´t fun. I have sandblasted my ´68 FB and it took about 1500 kg (3000 lbs ?) sand and now it seems nice. Rust and all old dirt has gone away. First remember that sand will go in every little hole so you might like close some holes with tape. Then you can destroy roof and fenders if you use sandblasting to those parts. Use fine sand not too rough. I usen 0.1 - 0.6mm sand and surface is nice and smooth.

Here is some pictures of before and after:

Interior before

Sandblasted interior and there is some sand inside

Sandblasted engine bay

Sandblasted front

Front end painted so now it will not rust.

I have these pictures more so if you like to see I could show these every now and then when we have done something new.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:09 AM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

thanks for all the info and pictures, i think ill end up doing the underneath, door jambs, insides of doors and some of the trunk with the blaster and use the electric sander for everything else.
carl
Old 10-07-2005, 03:25 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL:

had my stang completely soda blasted and galvanized
Do you mean cold galvanized such as zink?