Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Jedi_Optimus

Default Engine wont turn over

She is a 65 straight six 3.3L and she was working just fine and then the carburetor started leaking a little fuel. I bought a new refurbished carburetor because the old carb was in bad shape and then changed out the spark plugs, and distributor cap since I figured that they were old and I might as well get them all new. After putting installing the new carb the engine wont turn over unless I give it gas but then it turns off as soon as I take my foot off the gas. I thought it might be the idle mixture but I tried changing it but it had no change.

I figured I would record the car starting(or trying to start) with and without my foot on the gas so that maybe someone can notice something I didnt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgTQ...ature=youtu.be

Hope someone can help because I'd really love to be able to drive her at least a few more days before the summer weather is over.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:00 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Sounds like carb settings.....typical, most out of the box carbs tend to be rich.

Turn the idle screws all the way in, then about them out 1-1.5 turns, that should give you a starting point. If it cranks but won't fire at all, turn the screws out another .5 turns until it starts.

You didn't adjust the distributor timing when you changed crap in it, did you?

Also, verify your plug wiring.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:21 PM
jlg2002
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jedi_Optimus
She is a 65 straight six 3.3L and she was working just fine and then the carburetor started leaking a little fuel. I bought a new refurbished carburetor because the old carb was in bad shape and then changed out the spark plugs, and distributor cap since I figured that they were old and I might as well get them all new. After putting installing the new carb the engine wont turn over unless I give it gas but then it turns off as soon as I take my foot off the gas. I thought it might be the idle mixture but I tried changing it but it had no change.

I figured I would record the car starting(or trying to start) with and without my foot on the gas so that maybe someone can notice something I didnt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjgTQ...ature=youtu.be

Hope someone can help because I'd really love to be able to drive her at least a few more days before the summer weather is over.
Your video is locked for a password - so i couldn't watch..
If it runs with your foot in it and won't idle, you need to make sure you don't have a vacuum leak, next set the choke and it should run unassisted at about 1500 rpm or so. then as it warms up the idle should be reset to abot 900 to 1000 in park or neutral. from there using a tach reset the idle speed and mixture screws to best run. usually about 600 in D or N
Old 09-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Jedi_Optimus

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Sounds like carb settings.....typical, most out of the box carbs tend to be rich.

Turn the idle screws all the way in, then about them out 1-1.5 turns, that should give you a starting point. If it cranks but won't fire at all, turn the screws out another .5 turns until it starts.

You didn't adjust the distributor timing when you changed crap in it, did you?

Also, verify your plug wiring.
I fiddled with the idle screws and still had no luck getting the engine to turn over without hitting the gas pedal or keeping it running when I took my foot off the pedal. I have not messed with the distributor other than to put a new cap on it along with new spark plugs. I checked the spark plugs against the car manual so they are all correct.

Also I edited the video to not be locked/private so you folks can look at it without needing a password. At this point I have no clue what else I can try =(
Old 09-24-2013, 11:38 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Your choke looks like it's closed when you are trying to start it. If it is indeed closed that's a very good reason why it won't start.

I was also thinking maybe your vacuum advance was off. I see you have the proper carb for that year...do you have a "Load-o-Matic distributor or did you get a different one?

If the distibutor is not a Load-o-matic, then you will have to plug up the vacuum advance hose AT the carburator to get it running.

The problem does sound like an easy fix.