Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

I have a 62 ford with a 170 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 02:59 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Default I have a 62 ford with a 170 6

and I am having issues. I rebuilt the carb and it drove fine for about 3 days. then, it died.
I replaced the plugs, points, rotor, coil and cap. still nothing. It is getting gas as I pump the throttle.

It will start, idles for about 30 seconds. if I push on the throttle at all it instantly dies. I do here a heavy vacuum from the carb. It sounds like it is not getting any fuel other than the accelerator pump.

I tried pull starting it with my truck. I can here the vacuum a lot but it will not run.
I cannot figure it out.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:58 PM
Gun Jam

maybe dirt got in the idle circuit since you rebuilt the carb. I would pull the carb apart again and check for debris.

-Gun
Old 06-15-2014, 10:39 PM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

thanks gun, i will give that a try. Im not familiar the particulars of how exactly carbs. work. could it be the main jet? it will idle but when you open the accelerator it dies. i did remove the gas tank, clean it, blew out all the lines and replaced the filter. if dirt got into the carb and the main jet is clogged, would that cause it to die when introducing more air?
Old 06-15-2014, 11:10 PM
Gun Jam

A blocked main jet can cause hell.

IF the idle circuit is fine the car will idle fine but as you increase power the idle circuit alone can not provide adequate fuel flow. As air velocity increases through the carb a vacuum is created in the booster ventures (The little round things that hang out over the main ventures) this draws fuel through the main jets up the main well and into the boosters. If those jets are plugged the engine will starve and die.

But unfortunately this doesn't really 100% match the symptoms you are experiencing...First of all there are two main jets in your SA (Which I know very well and like a lot) both of these would have to be obstructed for the engine to die...this is unlikley. Maybe its the low speed circuit perhaps fuel flow to the transfer slots are restricted this acts as a transition between idle and high speed (also read as between idle fuel flow and booster fuel flow)

Take the carb off, take the float bowl off, take the metering block off and check all passages.

Also check for a vac leak, check around the intake to head union, the carb base gasket and any accessories.

I would check for vac leaks before I messed with the carb. If I were a betting man I would place lots of money on vac / carb issue in your case. Even if you had a crappy fuel pump it should run okay(ish) off the fuel in the floats alone until they ran dry.

P.S...I totally forgot this is not about the car in your sig....but thats okay...all carbs work on the same idea so the above applies just not in exact detail!!

Last edited by Gun Jam; 06-16-2014 at 12:02 AM.