Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

67 that's been siting for a while.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

These are the bumper strips that I was talking about.
Thanks,

Hump.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Have any of ya'll heard of putting "vingar" in the gas tank to clean it? One of the guys at work said thats what he did to clean out one of his. He said he then put bacon soda in it to neutralize the vingar. He said it did a great job.

Hump.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:04 PM
67V8kupe

Hey Hump, about your fuel tank......No straps are used. The tank just sits on top of your trunk floor and is screwed in by those self tapping screws. Uses about 20 or so of those screws. I don't think Ford used fuel tank straps until the 70's.

I will take some pictures of my '67 coupe fuel tank tomorrow when it's light out from top and bottom and post them for you.

BTW......I would advise not to re-route your fuel line. Ford engineers designed it to be where it is. If you re-route it you could introduce extra heat to it and cause vapor lock or even a fuel fire. I've had a fuel fire before on a different car and trust me, you don't want that.

That smell you get from your fuel tank will gag you. Dinosaur ****! I also replaced my tank, sender and fuel lines due to the extreme gum and varnish that was inside but mine sat for 17 years so I had no choice. I just used the single inline fuel filter with a new element.

Oh yeah, those 2 bumper guards are basically there for looks. They offer very little impact resistance and they are supposed to attach at the bottom to 2 metal brackets that should be hanging from the unibody of the car behind the fuel tank. I'll also get some shots of mine for you too.

Last edited by 67V8kupe; 02-17-2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:58 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Thanks, 67V.
I thought about that ( the fuel line redo ) after I posted. And the vapor lock came to mind. Was thinking that if I got to close to the valve cover that it might tranfer heat & cause a vapor lock. I was just thinking that I might be able to make some metal straps that fit under the valve cover screws and hold the line off the cover say a 1/2 > 3/4" and form it around the front and make it look alittle more professcial.

The Tank.........was talking with one of my co-workers and he has a new tank that he picked up some where. Going to let me have it for what he has in it. He has a 67 also. Only his came out of Airzona.

The bumper strips......kinda what I figured....just for looks. Not much there for reinforment.

Definely would like to see the pics.

Thanks,
Hump.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:29 PM
67V8kupe

Hump, for some reason "They" wont allow me to post any photos here...???

However, I was able to upload them to my Albums / Photos in my User CP so go there and check them out.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by 67V8kupe; 02-18-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:06 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Barrnett......How will the changing of the radiator from "2 row" to "3 row" affect the so called "stock/ all original" part of the car. I would like to keep it as original as possiable. I did pull it this pass weekend and plan on carrying it to a shop to get boiled out.
Where is the best place to pick up one of those "Gano" filters?

Hump.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:19 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Pulled the radiator. Carried to work and put some air on it. Leaking in a few spots around the top. My thinking is new aluminum radiator. What is a good cooler to look at? What about a Champion from Metro parts? May still carry to shop and see what it will cost.

Hump.
Old 02-26-2015, 02:15 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

If the core is clean a good radiator shop can put a top and bottom on it fairly cheaply.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

I'll think I will look into that just to see what it will cost. I'd like to get this horse running and drive it just a bit before I take it down. Think the wife want to show it off some. Drive it around the place. That way I can save some $$$. and the new radiator won't get @#$% up while I do the restoration. Just something that won't be in the way/ takeing up space.

Hump.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:51 AM
JHPSTANG
2nd Gear Member

That car looks very clean!
Mine sat for 18 years before I got it. Do all the things previously mentioned and it should start and run eventually. I replaced most of the fuel lines and got a new gas tank (mine was full of sludge). Run some marvel mystery oil and do a couple quick oil changes to clean thing up inside. Also don't forget to check the brake lines and flush/bleed those lines as well. Good luck!

Quick Reply: 67 that's been siting for a while.