Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

67 that's been siting for a while.

Old 02-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang
Default 67 that's been siting for a while.

Hello all. Trying to get my reply count up so I can see the pics. Also need info on what I should do. I have a 67 coupe, 200/6. It's been siting for over 8 yrs. not cranked. Besides changing the oil, what other things need to be done. Got a new battery. Was thinking I need to blow out the gas lines after I clean out the gas tank. This going to be a project car.
Thanks,
Hump.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
humpbackshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:01 PM   #2
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Default Pics to come.

As soon as I get some pics, I'll post them.

Thanks,
Hump.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:04 PM   #3
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Default Answers

I'll try to search the forums before I post.
Thanks,
Hump.
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #4
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 66 coupe

I wouldn't hurt to take the carb off and clean it thoroughly. Also, you may want to remove each spark plug, pour a little bit of mystery oil in each cylinder and turn I over by hand a few times.
MonsterBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #5
barnett468
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 shelby

rebuild the carb.

install new fuel pump.

use oil with zddp like valvoline VR-1.

check points gap . . it should be .027".

suck on hose going to distributor . . if you can suck air you need a new vacuum diaphragm

Last edited by barnett468; 02-11-2015 at 12:17 AM.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #6
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Default Follow up

MB.....check that.....I did do just that. Poured some Marvel oil in the each of the cylinder holes...let sit over nite and then got on the crank with a breakin bar and turned the engine over. Will most likely do that again before I turn it over with a battery. A carb rebuild is in the plans.

B468
Will have to ck that vacuum diaphragm.
Thanks for the info.

Hump
Old 02-13-2015, 12:46 PM   #7
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #8
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Old 02-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #9
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

the kick panels was in the process of being replaced
Old 02-13-2015, 12:51 PM   #10
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Original A/M radio in back floor borad.<br/>Both the front & back seats...A O.K.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:53 PM   #11
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

200ci. 1Barrel carb Factory A/C
Old 02-13-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

It's got a ways to go, but I think it will get there. It's had a "Earl Shine" paint job put to it. Can tell by the few places where there was some over spray. And you can see the "orange peel" in the paint. I myself will most likey go back with candyapple red. The yellow is O.K. but. Still the paint job is still a long way off.
Hump.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #13
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

What about the gas in the tank? There is not alot of gas (if any)in the tank. The gas gauge shows empty. I plan on removing the tank and cleaning. The tank looks like it is new. Also blowing out the gas lines and rebuilding the carb.
Hump.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:14 PM   #14
barnett468
3rd Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 shelby

ok, what is your specific gas tank question?

that is a killer car.

i would tap the freeze plugs in the center with a phillips screw driver to see if it goes thru . . they look old . . the rad may be done for also . . if you get a new one or get that recored, i would get a 3 row made in the usa.

use a 180 - 185 t stat.

install a gano filter in the upper rad hose.

Last edited by barnett468; 02-13-2015 at 04:18 PM.
barnett468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
WestCoastShelby
Banned

Vehicle: 1965 mustang

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnett468 View Post

install a gano filter in the upper rad hose.
+1 esp. if that cooling system was sitting filled for a long time.
WestCoastShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #16
67V8kupe

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang V8 Coupe

Wow, a straight 6 with A/C! That's a nice car to start with. It looks like it was never molested, keep it that way and just clean and detail everything, it's worth more keeping it original. I love it! I also have a 67 and it sat since 1982 but mine was no where near as nice as yours. I bought it in '99 and didn't crank the motor until 2005.
Here is my suggestions: 1).Pull the plugs and squirt Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder and hand crank the motor slowly with a socket wrench. If any thing is stuck you won't brake anything turning it by hand. 2). Yes, drain your tank of all that Dinosaur **** stale gasoline. As for the lines and carb, it wouldnt hurt to blow out the entire fuel line and for the carb it would hurt to take crack it open being careful not to tear the gaskets and clean out the bowl. (It probably needs to be rebuilt anyway). These carbs are a piece of cake to rebuild. Put on a new fuel filter also. That 200 CU straight 6 motor is a beautiful Ford motor design and will run and run and run. After you determine that the engine moves freely by hand drain the oil and check for metal bits and light colored swirl. If none of that add new oil and filter, install new plugs, replace or clean the points and crank it up! When I finally started mine I replaced the fuel tank, lines and pump but left the carb alone. It did start after a while of priming it and ran like crap so I rebuilt the carb. It was so clogged with 40 years of gum and junk. It's amazing it ran at all. After I rebuilt it, it ran like new! Let us know how your progress is going!

Last edited by 67V8kupe; 02-14-2015 at 07:42 PM.
67V8kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
67V8kupe

Vehicle: 1967 Mustang V8 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterBilly View Post
I wouldn't hurt to take the carb off and clean it thoroughly. Also, you may want to remove each spark plug, pour a little bit of mystery oil in each cylinder and turn I over by hand a few times.

Ooops! Sorry MonsterBilly and anybody else. I didnt read your post first and said basically the exact same thing. Didn't mean to step on any toes brother.

Last edited by 67V8kupe; 02-14-2015 at 07:50 PM.
67V8kupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:48 AM   #18
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible

Oh, that car will play. That will play nicely.

6cyl w/ factory air..oh hell yeah.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.
fastbackford351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #19
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the nice replies.

I did as ya'll said and poured some MMO down the spark plug holes. Let sit over-nite. Put a breakn bar & socket on the front crank and turned it over. Got the wife involved. Had her check each cyclinder as I turned over. All moved....felt no sticking or hard spots.
I have now pulled the gas tank and opened it up. It has some black looking stuff all in it. I took a long scewdriver and scraped the bottom some and it came off...and the spot that was scraped look good. Very shinney. Of course the gas ( what little that was in there ) smelled......not like gas but like..... maybe like...... I don't know some of them cleaners. It was kinda redish and foamed some. Foamed alot when I washed it out with the water hose. Its got the garage smelln pretty strong like a "varnish". Thats the word I'm looking for. Also blew out the fuel line running from the fuel pump to the tank. All I got out of it was just some ole gas. NO trash or anything.
"Pop-in law" said to put the float and pick-up in some carb. cleaner. I don't think that was a good idea. After letting it sit over nite, the screen/mesh that surround the pick up came off. It was still kinda gumed up and nasty. Most likely lookin at a new float and pick-up.
Dropped the oil out. It was very dark but no signs of water. Just used motor oil. The plug was a slight problem getting back in. It was made with an "X" cut in the threads, not a solid stud. Was able to get back in and tighten. Still got to get an oil filter and some new oil. Finish cleaning the short line to the carb. and from carb. to the fuel pump. Was thinking I would add a fuel line filter just before the fuel pump. There is one at the carb that is screwed into it. Still got to drop the anti-freeze and check the radiator.
One other....when pulling the tank...notice that the straps that were there to hold the bottom of the tank was missing. AND the (2) bumper things were not bolted down at the bottom. ( the bumper things are those 2 up/down things on both side of the lic. plate that has rubber on them.) I was told by my nephew that they had started a retro on the car but only did a few things. Looks like that bottom rocker panel behind the lic. plate has been replaced because there is no holes for the bottom bumper strips. These would have been the bolts that hold the back/one side of the straps for the gas tank.
I'll try and get some more pics as I go.
Thanks again for all the info and how to's. It will be put to use!!!!!!
Hump.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #20
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

One other thing.....looking at the pic of the gas line.....is it routed correctly around the front of the engine? Was thinking of redoing it....connecting, putting clamps on it from the valve cover. Making it more stable. Maybe running it in stainless. If anybody got in pics would like to see them.
Thanks,
Hump.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:39 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement