Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

T56 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 04:35 PM
Evan Plasse

Default T56 Transmission

Does anyone know what needs to be done in order to fit the T56 Magnum in a 65 mustang? is it possible?
Old 07-13-2016, 01:11 AM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

So if my memory serves me correctly.. it matters what motor youd like to mate it to and that will depend which model t56 you need. Also youll have to cut up your floor / "massage" the trans tunnel. I know places sell a crossmember that will lower the tailshaft a little but i wouldnt recommend messing with that driveline angle too much. It can be done though, its a fairly common swap. if you search online youll find some write ups.
Old 07-14-2016, 05:29 PM
Evan Plasse

Originally Posted by Mustangdemon67
So if my memory serves me correctly.. it matters what motor youd like to mate it to and that will depend which model t56 you need. Also youll have to cut up your floor / "massage" the trans tunnel. I know places sell a crossmember that will lower the tailshaft a little but i wouldnt recommend messing with that driveline angle too much. It can be done though, its a fairly common swap. if you search online youll find some write ups.
the angle of the driveline shouldnt be an issue with the crossmember though, should it? from my understanding, the straighter the driveline the better, so i would think lowering the transmission would only straighten that angle. i dont know if that is true or not though
Old 07-15-2016, 08:01 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

well i dont have experience personally with the t56 crossmembers that lower the tail shaft so i cant say for sure how much effect they will have.

and yes you want to try to get the straightest possible driveline angle but that is under load, not just parked in a garage. When the vehicle is under load the rear axle wants to move upward and this is why people apply an offset angle to compensate. Also the ability to control how much your differential will move depends entirely on your rear suspension set up and also how much power your pumping into it. ladder bar and 4 link rear setups offer more control while leaf springs offer much less. The more pinion angle also equals some power loss. So the consensus is that conventional U joints can handle between 1 and 3 degrees. Definitely dont want to push them too far and cause vibrations or them to fail, very dangerous. So your going to want to shoot for 1-3 degrees between the tail shaft of the transmission and the driveshaft, and 1 to 3 degrees between the driveshaft and the rear pinion. Your trying to get them equal, as close as you can anyway. So for example, tailshaft points down 2 degrees and rear diff is up 2 degrees. opposite but equal. These are pretty solid guidelines but some fine tuning is usually involved with custom engines, transmissions and crossmembers etc. Hopefully i was able to explain that clear enough, sometimes my thoughts are just all over the place.

i found these pictures, pretty straight forward. There are many good write ups on this subject too.

Last edited by Mustangdemon67; 07-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.