Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Buying a 1965 Fastback - Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Default Buying a 1965 Fastback - Questions

So, my cousin unexpectedly died of a heart attack a couple weeks ago. We were pretty close, and we always talked shop about cars. He had a 1965 Mustang GT Fastback in decent shape with the original 289 engine. It drives well and sounds great. It isn't the original paint or interior, but they're all in functionally alright shape - no major tears and not much rust. It'll need new brakes (probably convert them to disc brakes - they went out last time I was in it), but mechanically I can't think of anything else it'd need.

I want to make his daughters an offer on it. I know he'd want it kept in the family, but I also know that his daughters (who all are either in college or have small children) probably don't have the time, space, tools, or know how to keep that car the way their dad would have wanted it.

I don't know much of anything about the 60's Mustangs.

What should I look for when deciding what kind of offer to make on it?

Last edited by Young_Gun; 12-21-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:28 AM
Gun Jam

its a 65 fast back...that isnt a rusted through shell and runs...there is nothing else to consider in this case.

as for an offer play dumb if thats your style say its an old somewhat rusty car but I know he would want it to stay in the family...here is 12k cash.

Realistically its probably worth 25 to 35k
Old 12-22-2016, 06:11 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

A quick google search will let them know real fast if you're making an offer or an insult. If you don't have enough to make a fair market offer, or at least close to one, then be straight up and forthright with them and try to work out a deal that is fair for everybody.

These aren't strangers, they're family so now is not the time to try to get over or get away with one because karma is a bitch.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:53 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

I think it would be worthwhile for you to hire someone to have the car checked out if your serious about buying it.

Look for someone knowledgeable in classic cars.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:30 PM
Young_Gun
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
its a 65 fast back...that isnt a rusted through shell and runs...there is nothing else to consider in this case.

as for an offer play dumb if thats your style say its an old somewhat rusty car but I know he would want it to stay in the family...here is 12k cash.

Realistically its probably worth 25 to 35k
There's one in similar shape with a better interior on Craiglist in the area for 17.5K so I was thinking I'd offer 13 and go as high as 15

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
A quick google search will let them know real fast if you're making an offer or an insult. If you don't have enough to make a fair market offer, or at least close to one, then be straight up and forthright with them and try to work out a deal that is fair for everybody.

These aren't strangers, they're family so now is not the time to try to get over or get away with one because karma is a bitch.
Yeah, and I'm close with his daughters so I want to make sure they get a fair deal. He didn't leave them much money.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:18 PM
Gun Jam

then yeah by all means show them the one craigs list and offer 14...If you can score that car for 14 that is awesome!