Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 GT vert diy replacement top

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM
EC Stang

Default 03 GT vert diy replacement top

I been searching around on here and the net and not finding much info at all about self installing a new top on a 03 mustang gt. I know they are mostly the same from 00-04 except that the new end of this year range had a rubber piece added to the top to help with water. I was looking at the popular online retailers such as LMR, AM, and a few other top only places. Now i guess i am wondering how the AM one is and if anyone knows who manufactures it? I see Electron top a few places and herd good things about them. I was tossing the idea of upgrading to cloth but i dont think it is worth the money to me since I use the car mostly with the top down and only put it up to go into places like stores or if it gets cold on the ride home. Its a toy car for sunny days. I feel i would be fine if i go slow and have good instructions and a quality top and the right tools. Any input on the goods and bads will help. Also looking for a good staple gun to install staples. Looking to try and use t50 stainless staples and the only nematic gun i found was a Surebonder 9600, anyone try this gun?
Old 07-02-2011, 10:24 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

EC,

I'm glad you are interested in the DIY top install on your Stang. This is not brain surgery. That said, I make my living installing conv. tops because it is intimidating to the average adult to try to install themselves.

Stang tops will fit all models from '94 to 2004. Some of the popular retailers that I am aware of are convertibletopguys and autotopsdirect. Never heard of LMR or AM.

I too don't think that a cloth top's extra cost is justified. Don't get me wrong, I think they look great, but I haven't seen in my experience any evidence that they actually last longer.

Stainless staples are a must in my opinion. You could buy an inexpensive electric stapler at a hardware store and do just fine. Pneumatic staplers are usually more expensive.

Good luck.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:24 PM
EC Stang

Thanks for the good words. LMR and AM was late model restoration and american muscle. Sorry if there was some confusion. I can see how it is not easy to do a top or anything having to do with the fabrics. I do thing the cloth tops look better but agree with no true justification other then the nicer look. I found that Surebonde nematic stapler for about 37 shipped and it shoots the arrow T50 staples that i found in the proper lengths. I know i can make it happen as i am a very technical and handy person in my everyday work life as well as all my hobbies but i know it will take a lot of effort and homework as well as extra time and patients. I respect what you do and the info you share with me. Thank you for stopping by and putting in your 2 cents it is appreciated. On something like this by the 3rd one I will have it down, only problem is i only have 1 car, haha thats a vert.