Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

just bought a random directional orbital buffer

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 PM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Default just bought a random directional orbital buffer

well i needed one for a project and i was wondering how hard it is to use without messing up my paint. it says 3500 rpmswhich is apparently slow for them says the guy at pepboys who wouldnt sell me paint because im not 21 and could use it as a drug...but i was wondering what yall suggest i buy pad wise and product wise to use to polish and wax my car with it..i want all the detailing stuff i need so i dont mess up, oh and on a side note i have waterspots and was wondering how to get rid of them.

thanks in advance for the help guys
Old 06-07-2011, 11:51 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2007bluestang
well i needed one for a project and i was wondering how hard it is to use without messing up my paint. it says 3500 rpmswhich is apparently slow for them says the guy at pepboys who wouldnt sell me paint because im not 21 and could use it as a drug...but i was wondering what yall suggest i buy pad wise and product wise to use to polish and wax my car with it..i want all the detailing stuff i need so i dont mess up, oh and on a side note i have waterspots and was wondering how to get rid of them.

thanks in advance for the help guys
Well, its actually called dual action random orbit buffer. Anyways 3500 is low, is it variable speed? There is more to buffing/polishing the paint then just going at it. There are many different compounds and they all have their place in the process as they all have different cutting power(cutting through your clear coat). Each compound usually requires different speed and pad. Same goes for pads as well, the pads are designed for different compounds and if used incorrectly can lead to no results, or bad results. If you just want to polish then you would just need a polishing compound, which you can get at local Oreiley's (Meguiars is very good). If you are serious about polishing your car, get a porter cable xp or the 74xxsp series at local Lowes for about 120$. Meguiars make a great starting kit, the DA Microfiber which will run about $ 80~100 depending on the pad size you choose. Check out Autopia.com, they have insane amount of information about polishing, they are the place that got me started. And also check out Detailer's Domain write up's as they are awesome and go step by step with product listings.

P.S. you can try clay bar to get rid of spots, or water with vinegar, polishing the paint with a buffer is a sure way to get rid of them though.

Last edited by defiance; 06-07-2011 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 AM
2007bluestang
4th Gear Member

Thanks man I really appreciate it
Old 06-09-2011, 08:41 PM
07BLACKGT
5th Gear Member

Ford4Life gave good info.

I would get a Porter Cable 7424 if you want to do it right. Once upon a time, I had one of those $30 orbital buffers and tried to buff an area of my car with the "buffing pad" that came with it and scratch x. Holy holograms, batman. It was an epic fail.

If you want to remove swirls, hard water marks, make it look better than new, etc. I recommend Porter Cable 7424, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0, and Lake Country Flat Pads (foam). Orange pad for buffing swirls, blue or red pad for waxing or putting on paint sealant. Wolfgang makes good paint sealant as well to protect better than wax for 6+ months. There are also various polishes, etc that you can use for middle steps to enhance shine/depth/clarity, but I have never really found that these do much. I still use them though :P

Watch this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s

I've done my whole car, and my buddy's 08 GT which was TRASHED using this method. His car pics are below:

Before:

50/50:

Finished:
Old 06-10-2011, 08:24 AM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT
Ford4Life gave good info.

I would get a Porter Cable 7424 if you want to do it right. Once upon a time, I had one of those $30 orbital buffers and tried to buff an area of my car with the "buffing pad" that came with it and scratch x. Holy holograms, batman. It was an epic fail.

If you want to remove swirls, hard water marks, make it look better than new, etc. I recommend Porter Cable 7424, Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0, and Lake Country Flat Pads (foam). Orange pad for buffing swirls, blue or red pad for waxing or putting on paint sealant. Wolfgang makes good paint sealant as well to protect better than wax for 6+ months. There are also various polishes, etc that you can use for middle steps to enhance shine/depth/clarity, but I have never really found that these do much. I still use them though :P
You did an awesome job man! It really amazes me what a person with knowledge can do with a porter cable. It definitely costs a pretty penny to get started, but once you get the pads and maintain them, they will last a long time. This is one of the best things that an owner can get for his/her vehicle.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:05 PM
Juturna67

How much is that orbital buffer that the guy is using in the video?
Old 07-19-2011, 02:20 PM
Juturna67

Originally Posted by 07BLACKGT

Also, there seems to be some dust or something that won't come of from my 67 mustang. I've tried washing and it won't come off and when you run your fingers through it it feels different from the spots that don't have this dirt or what ever it is. What would you recommend me use to try and remove this?
Old 07-25-2012, 03:50 PM
aaquib1992
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juturna67
Also, there seems to be some dust or something that won't come of from my 67 mustang. I've tried washing and it won't come off and when you run your fingers through it it feels different from the spots that don't have this dirt or what ever it is. What would you recommend me use to try and remove this?
Clay bar. Sounds like you have contaminants that got under/into the clearcoat, as this happens with all cars over time.s Just be careful with that stuff, gotta handle it very carefully.