Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

I hate to keep flooding the forums... but

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 12:51 PM
mith
1st Gear Member

Default I hate to keep flooding the forums... but

Should I just throw out my orbital buffer? I know there are buffers out there that have a similar effect, but my primary buffer is a regular one that just spins. These buffers are what professionals use. I'd like to learn how to use it, but I feel that my orbital buffer is crap and useless.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

Uh what kind is it?

The ones that have a varied spin pattern work really nice.

The machine polish is what you want to use with them though not just normal wax. For example Griot's Garage has a machine polish 1 , 2 and 3. Polish 1 is the most aggressive for heavy oxidation and scratches. Polish 2 is for moderate scratches. Polish 3 is the polish I use most, if you wax often 3 keeps everything waxed up well.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
Uh what kind is it?

The ones that have a varied spin pattern work really nice.

The machine polish is what you want to use with them though not just normal wax. For example Griot's Garage has a machine polish 1 , 2 and 3. Polish 1 is the most aggressive for heavy oxidation and scratches. Polish 2 is for moderate scratches. Polish 3 is the polish I use most, if you wax often 3 keeps everything waxed up well.
Crap, with one key stroke, I just lost everything that I just typed (sigh). But since I'm a fast typist, I'll just type it all over again LOL.

Anyway, I was saying that I'll probably just throw out my orbital since I'm getting pretty good with the sander/grinder. Initially, I wasn't sure how to attach the Velcro pads. But after putting some thought into it, I just ended up going to Home Depot and bought some Velcro strips. Just attached them to the main wheel and voila, I solved that issue.

I'm pleased to say that I'm getting the hang of using my buffer. I almost never go past the slower speed because if I do, I end up burning on the compound to the car which is hard to remove. I'm also learning how to use the edges of the buffer wheel to vary the angle of the buff. Example, I use the edge furthest away from me to give me a left and right pattern. Then I use the right edge to give an up and down pattern effectively buffing in two directions.

I'm also covering the adjacent areas that I'm not working on so there's no spatters. Also, I'm using less polish and using the buffing wheel (not spinning) to smear it around... so this alleviates any spatters. Eventually I won't have to cover the adjacent areas once I learn exactly how much wax to use so it (the buffer) doesn't spatter in the first place.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the results I'm getting right now and expect that with more practice, I'll get even better. Even right now my paint's almost perfect.

PS... I just found a pad that I KNEW I had (new)... but couldn't find it LOL. So tonight after using the compound, I'll finish off the car with my, "Blue Coral" sealer/wax.