General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Power window problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
stumpfoot

Default Power window problems

I have a 90 Mustang I am trying to get the power windows working again. When I got the car the windows didnt work and kept blowing fuses. Well I tore the dash apart after eliminating other possiblities and found someone had run a screw through the wire loom that runs at the top of the firewall just under the dash. Fixed it and it doesnt blow fuses anymore and the driver window works fine. Passenger window stilldoes not and the powerdoor locks dont work either. I have looked for more damaged wire and checked all other fuses and cant find anything. I even swapped out the passenger side switches and no go. Any suggestions?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:09 PM
metlcub
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Power window problems

it's some type of regulator or something like that. I had the problem in a 92 crown vic i had.. The bad motor in the passenger window would casue the electric door locks not to work. when that was replaced, the door lockes worked again. I dont know a thing about cars, I've learned more in the last 3 weeks then I have in 30 years. LOL I hired someone to fix it.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
stumpfoot

UPDATE...I directly hooked the motor to the battery, the window went up and down fine... I checked the switches...I have 12 volts ( I used my trusty volt meter)on both wires (one up and one down) when buttons are pushed.So the motors good and the switches are good, I have power all the way up to the gray connector that plugs into the motor itself, and yet when you plug it in....nothing. Theres no reason the window shouldnt work....and yet? Is there any reason the motor wouldnt respond to the switches as it does when connected directly to the battery? It would seem to me 12 volts is 12 volts. When I use the switch the motor makes no noise, nothing.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:04 PM
stumpfoot

Yea, I went and messed with it some more and the motor runs fine when directly connected to battery but will not respond to the switches, and I know there is power coming from those switches, I tested it directly, bypassing the gray connector altogether, 12 volts when you push the window switch. I have another set of switches and tried those with the same result.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
stumpfoot

are the switches supposed to be grounded to the passenger door? I noticed the driver door was but the passenger door wasnt.