General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is Crystal White paint the same color as Oxford white paint?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:36 AM
t_b9151700
1st Gear Member

Default Is Crystal White paint the same color as Oxford white paint?

I'm having my neighbors friend paint my door sometime next week. He works in a body shop and paints cars all the time. I explained to him that I cant afford to spend alot of money. He told me to buy some duplicolor paint at auto zone and use it temporary until I can get the money to take it to a body shop.

My paint color is ZR which is crystal white. I stopped into auto zone today to look for the paint and bought the supplies. There was like 4-5 different white colors but they didnt have crystal white. I looked through the duplicolor book in the ford section and it had all these different paint codes listed by the year. My mustang is a 2000. I looked through the 00's and I didnt see my paint code. All the paint codes that were white were listed as "oxford white". From the year 1995 through the year 2008 all the white paint codes were listed as "oxford white". I also saw the oxford white on the shelf but I wasnt sure if it was the right color. My mustang is the same white color that you see in all the white 99-04 stangs.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:17 AM
OUTLAW1969
2nd Gear Member

Chances are that unless your 00' has been re-painted, that it is Oxford White. Not sure where the Crystal White paint code came from, but 99-04 Ford factory white was OW, to the best of my knowledge.

Buy a can, spray a little into a paper cup, and test a tiny "drop" in a hidden spot on your normal paint (inside the door, or something). Remember that unless your car has been re-painted, that your paint has faded, so test it on a hidden spot that is not normally exposed to the sun, rain, etc. Also, spraying new paint (even the same color), next to old paint, is not gonna match perfectly, due to natural fading of the old paint.

Good Luck, and if it is a temporary fix anyway, then go for it!
Old 11-01-2008, 05:11 PM
t_b9151700
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OUTLAW1969
Chances are that unless your 00' has been re-painted, that it is Oxford White. Not sure where the Crystal White paint code came from, but 99-04 Ford factory white was OW, to the best of my knowledge.

Buy a can, spray a little into a paper cup, and test a tiny "drop" in a hidden spot on your normal paint (inside the door, or something). Remember that unless your car has been re-painted, that your paint has faded, so test it on a hidden spot that is not normally exposed to the sun, rain, etc. Also, spraying new paint (even the same color), next to old paint, is not gonna match perfectly, due to natural fading of the old paint.

Good Luck, and if it is a temporary fix anyway, then go for it!
Thanks. Are you sure that it might be oxford white? That book had like ALL the white paint codes listed as "oxford white" from ford. Was the mustang made with a special white color that you maybe know of?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Oxford and Crystal are both Ford white.... however they are different, and it will look off in the right light. Z1 (Oxford used in late 2000 and following) and ZR (Crystal used from 94 to late 2000) are the two codes.