General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Clutch cable loose problem!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 02:31 AM
cobraride

Default Clutch cable loose problem!

Hello, I'm wanting to purchase a 1991 mustang gt 5.0 5sp but the owner says that the clutch cable is loose again so it is hard to get it into gear. While he was test driving me around, he had trouble engaging the gears...1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gears engaged with some effort and heavy depressing of the clutch and gas. There was no grinding with each shift, and power seems powerful. However, when I tried to test drive it, I depressed the clutch all the way as far as possible, but I could not engage 1st gear!! The owner states that the clutch cable has slipped again, and that is why it is like this. He had a high performance clutch installed about 1 year ago, and had this clutch cable slippage once before. Can anyone comment on whether this is an easy DIY fix or do I have to uninstall the whole tranny to get to what this owner may be talking about? Or can it be a severe tranny problem?

He is the original owner with 179k miles.....No engine mods, and the engine is super strong with no oil leaks. He hasn't changed the timing chain or resealed anything yet! Is $2000.00 too much for this? It does have front left bumper damage that cause the whole front body to shift slightly right, so the passenger door cannot open. No A/C - no freon means broken A/C. It does have clean looking cobra 17" rims with ok tires. Please give me your help and opinion! Thanks!
Old 08-08-2005, 04:18 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch cable loose problem!

A new heavy duty clutch cable, firewall adjuster and quadrant will take care of that problem. Its not hard to install, it just takes some times and patients because you will be under the dash a while, and of course under the car too a little.

If its not the clutch cable then it could be the bearing going out and thats only like a $20-30 dollar part depending on where you buy it from, you can also install a new clutch while your at it.

Now as for the price, I would need to see pictures of the outside, inside, under the car and in the engine bay to give me an idea of what its worth, But from what you described it would only be worth $1000 - $1500 but with the rims it bumps it up another $500 bux.

As much as we dont like to admit such things, with that milage that engine is going to need to be either rebuilt or have a new one dropped in. If you already have another car that is dependable and not too many debts then I would say "Go For It" and just build the engine, trans and suspension and have the car the way you want it. After it winter is right around the corner and this could be the project to keep you from getting cabin feaver this winter.

Good luck with your project, oh you know you could always sell the engine, trans, driveshaft, front K-Member and suspension and convert to 5 lug and stuff a 96-98 Cobra, 99-01 Cobra (Your choice, the earlier heads flow great!) or 03/04 Mach1 or Cobra engine in there (Cobra would be sick!) have the great IFS from a 03/04 Mach1 or Bullitt with the 13" front rotors then get a 5 lug conversion kit for the rears and slap on some 10.5" rotors and of course your choice of gears and suspension. If im not mistaken all that shiz should fit in that fox! I am doing a similar project to my 95' Stang sept with an 03' Mach1 engine and IFS.

l8r.

-Eric-
Old 08-08-2005, 01:47 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

Do you really think that if hes buying a 2000 dollar car hes going to put in a cobra motor??As far as the clutch cable...Putting in a new one took me under an hour for everthing so its pretty easy.That is alot of miles on that car and it will need a rebuild thats for sure.The cable must have stripped teeth on the quadrant to be that bad.If I was you I would look for another car thats in better shape foxes can be bought for 3,000 in alright shape
Old 08-09-2005, 04:18 AM
cobraride

Thanks for the info. Yeah, after thinking about how much e'thing is to rebuild, that $2000 is slightly high. However, that car is nice looking...the inside is ok shape...not the best but adequate. If I were to rebuild it and slap on 5 lugs, those 4 lug 17" cobra rims and tires will be useless to me. Rims now a days can't sell very well! I shall give it a second look latr. I just don't feel comfortable not being able to test drive it...but I guess that is where the good deals are found....on slightly defective cars.

Nice project Neo. How long will this project last? I am also looking at a 94 cobra engine and tranny combo....they charge alot more for parts than a whole car!
Old 08-10-2005, 04:11 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

The project is going to take a long time, with alot of projects you cant ever really expect them to be done because you always see something new, cooler, better that you want ya know?

Anyways, the engine, trans, PST carbon fiber driveshaft, Battle boxes, full length sub frames, 8.8 w/ auburn torsen and weight jacker lower controlls and tubular uppers with the full front suspension and brake job and all the wiring nightmare, I expect it to be done in about 2 months, bout 2 times longer then I originally thought but I have to move to Missouri which complicates things more. I have to have my car shipped back on a freight truck, its going to be about $800 bux, Im in Cali right now. There is alot more to the car that i want to do that I dont have the imediate money or time for right now, too many idea's ya know?

As for the cobra swap being too much, I really dont think so, its just about what YOU want. If you can get the car for about $1-1500 bux and have the want to make it a mod motor or even that 94 Cobra motor then you can do it. Realisticly those projects take a while probably 4-6 months its just when I get back to missouri I get to slap it in my dads shop and go crazy.

Honestly I wish I could stay out here in Cali but April is preggerz -due in Jan- and our jobs only pay us $8.25 an hour! If I could find a reasonable house to buy out here I would, somewhere where I could build a shop for myself and have a little property but Sacramento sux and the surrounding area's cost too much as well. The managment at my job is kinda messed up and wont promote us even though we have more experiance and recomendations then they do (Mostly.) Pick-N-Pull is really a good company but they really need to see what they have infront of them before they just let us leave. They have been beating around the bush with transfering me to the Kansas City location in Missouri.

Another compant called FBI (Fender Bender Internation) is wanting to hire me on at $16 bux an hour starting to be in their sales staff. I am kinda concidering checking into them before I have to leave out to Missouri, they did say that they wanted me but then I got the job at PnP. See if we stay out here April gets a 2.50 cent raise to 10.75 an hour in a month and I would (Possibly) be getting $16 from FBI (If they want me) which would bring us to $26.75 an hour a day combined. Thats $214 a day then take out about $44 for taxes and that leaves 170 a day, thats $850 A week, $3400 a month and not to mention we get all the free gas we want.... I think we could live on that pretty well...

God I have too much on my mind, Im sorry to splerg like this, I need to think about other things, later....

-Eric-