General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Renewing dull headlights

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
cdt12271

Default Renewing dull headlights

I just wanted to pass on a tip that someone gave me.

The first time I saw my 99 GT Convertible there were only two things I didn't like about it. One was the small dent in the fender that I will be getting fixed and the other were the dull....no BEYOND dull headlights. These things were like a yellow. I just didn't understand how a car in such great shape could have headlights that looked that BAD. So I bought the car with the idea of replacing the headlights, and then I saw the price of new headlights (I know, I can get some for about $80 on ebay).

Well, my brother-in-law told me to use Mothers Aluminum Wheel polish on the headlights. Knowing how bad they looked, I didn't think I had anything to loose. Honestly, I wish I would have taken a before and after picture because the difference is like night and day. The headlights are clear and the only thing that remains are a few scratches that were already on one of the headlights.

Sorry for the long story, but if you have the yellow/faded headlights, give the Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish a try. Less than $5 and 5 minutes and your headlights are looking good again.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Helgi

Originally Posted by cdt12271
I just wanted to pass on a tip that someone gave me.

The first time I saw my 99 GT Convertible there were only two things I didn't like about it. One was the small dent in the fender that I will be getting fixed and the other were the dull....no BEYOND dull headlights. These things were like a yellow. I just didn't understand how a car in such great shape could have headlights that looked that BAD. So I bought the car with the idea of replacing the headlights, and then I saw the price of new headlights (I know, I can get some for about $80 on ebay).

Well, my brother-in-law told me to use Mothers Aluminum Wheel polish on the headlights. Knowing how bad they looked, I didn't think I had anything to loose. Honestly, I wish I would have taken a before and after picture because the difference is like night and day. The headlights are clear and the only thing that remains are a few scratches that were already on one of the headlights.

Sorry for the long story, but if you have the yellow/faded headlights, give the Mothers Aluminum Wheel Polish a try. Less than $5 and 5 minutes and your headlights are looking good again.
Also you can sand the lights with wetsanding paper around p2000-p3000 depending on the polishing step. And therefor clear the scratches and leaving the glass like a new one.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:05 PM
Daehawk
4th Gear Member

Well that's cheaper than the kits made just for that. Seems awful abrasive though. might want to go back over with with super fine grain wet sandpaper.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Helgi

Originally Posted by Daehawk
Well that's cheaper than the kits made just for that. Seems awful abrasive though. might want to go back over with with super fine grain wet sandpaper.
If you have access to polishing machine then p1500 wetsanding grit is enough for final sanding and a course compund followed by a fine one. As for hand polishing the finer you sand the less you polish and more shine will come.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
cdt12271

Thanks for the input. I don't know how abrasive it is. I used the small can of smooth cream like polish. Lightly rubbing with a terry cloth, felt rough until it cut through the grime. When I didn't feel any more roughness, I stopped and wiped the polish off. Headlight is smooth and clear now.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:25 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Problem is that they fade quickly since there is no coating to stop UV damage now. Go for new headlights when u can.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 AM
SD 197
2nd Gear Member

They actually sell liquid UV protection for polished plastic. It's like $5 for a bottle, and will last you a long time.

When I would polish the headlights on our Grand Cherokee, they would turn yellow within a couple of weeks. After applying the UV protection, it stays clear!
Old 07-26-2012, 02:36 AM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Best $30 I've ever spent.

before:

after:

Night and day in person.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:21 AM
madjimmax
1st Gear Member

This might sound crazy, but try some whitening toothpaste and a small brush. This will do wonders to them, just take a couple of minutes and try it out and you'll be amazed at how clean they'll come
Old 10-20-2012, 02:15 AM
jpbrockway

I have been able to get most clear with mcguires plastic cleaner and plastic polish, I used to do it by hand but then I bought one of the ***** for a drill....way easier