General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

My Jerk-Face neighbor just hit my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by danzcool
Dude, I don't care if the police have "better things to do", at least call in and say you want to file a hit and run report and that you have the license plate of the vehicle that did the damage. It's okay if they only take the report over the phone and don't follow up in person, just get the case/report number. Next, take them to small claims and get a judgement against them, produce the report number and of coursepictures and you girlfriend as a witness. Then put a mechanics lean on the minivan and sell it.
I've already gone through the steps of doing this with the police and my lawyer. Baltimore City Police will not issue a police report at all for a parking bump. After talking with my lawyer, the probability of actually getting my money back from these people just isn't worth the time and money to go to court. Even if I DO get a judgement sworn against them, they have ZERO money and constantly borrow from the few people that they are friendly with. I will have either fixed and sold the car or given it to my 5 year old daughter, or be dead, before I see a dime from these people.
They bought this house from the city on some "Everyone deserves to be a home owner" government program. $0 down, EXTREMELY low interest and VERY discounted price on the house. (Wish I was in a position to benefit from a program like that.) The kicker is, on this program, they cannot be evicted, their power cannot be turned off for non-payment, same with water, and a lien cannot be put on the house unless they fill bankruptcy. (I've been researching the heck out of this and the more info I get the madder I get at the situation.)

I really wish the obvious stuff would work, but it all would be for not. The g/f and I would have to take time off from school/work to go to court, meaning more money lost, not to mention the money for my attorney.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:42 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

How do you know so much about these people without talking to them? How do you know they borrow money from people and have nothing of value? I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the thread, sorry if I missed it.
Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

They've lived here since before my g/f inherited our house from her late grandmother. People talk and we are very friendly with a lot of our other neighbors.

Also, there is a LOT of information that is public record on the internet and through local government databases. All it takes is $10 (if you want it now and not to wait 2-3 days) or knowing a few people that work in local, state and federal governments helps too. All you REALLY need though is a full name, address and an internet connection. Also, you would be surprised what some peole post on FB.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Stang-aholic
4th Gear Member

Ditty.... Im sorry about the guy hitting you, in a normal situation like this I would just let it go and just come up with the cheap-est fix on my own.......

BUT... YOUR NEIGHBOR ARE DICKS LIVING OFF THE GOV'T so GIVE UM HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Legally of course...
Old 06-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

I am! Thanks.

Personal update, I found out about a ShareWare video recording software and for the last few days I've been recording my car at night. Still working on the setup using a cheap USB Webcam. MUCH better than having to either monitor my old setup or sit and ffw through hours of video. This new setup records only when movement is detected.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Maybe it's because I'm listening to Iron Maiden right now, but if I had seen my neighbor back into any of my vehicles, I would have walked calmly outside and asked why they hit my car and if they were going to accept responsibility. If they denied it, I would kick the f***ing door in on the minivan they were borrowing and say I wonder when that happened? Then if they made a single move towards my car, it would be on like f***ing donkey kong. If the popo doesn't want to come to your 'hood then a little assault isnt going to bring them running either. Hopefully.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wcgman
Maybe it's because I'm listening to Iron Maiden right now, but if I had seen my neighbor back into any of my vehicles, I would have walked calmly outside and asked why they hit my car and if they were going to accept responsibility. If they denied it, I would kick the f***ing door in on the minivan they were borrowing and say I wonder when that happened? Then if they made a single move towards my car, it would be on like f***ing donkey kong. If the popo doesn't want to come to your 'hood then a little assault isnt going to bring them running either. Hopefully.
THAT might be the Iron Maiden talking. Really though, when I was naked, staring out of my window in disbelief, that's how I felt. It's been a week ago this morning and they refuse to park anywhere NEAR my car now. I'm pretty happy with that for the moment. But, if they even think about getting near my car again, it IS going to be on like Donkey Kong.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
THAT might be the Iron Maiden talking. Really though, when I was naked, staring out of my window in disbelief, that's how I felt. It's been a week ago this morning and they refuse to park anywhere NEAR my car now. I'm pretty happy with that for the moment. But, if they even think about getting near my car again, it IS going to be on like Donkey Kong.
Whoa now...I won't ask why you were in your birthday suit. But knowing that, if you were engaged in something with your lady more fun than driving (and there's only ONE thing more fun than driving!) and this distracted you...I'd be super pissed too. That being said, I think the house could be on fire, earthquake, asteroids, alien invasion and someone blowing up my cars and nothing distracts me from that one special thing
Old 06-14-2013, 01:38 AM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

you know, I looked at the pics that you posted of the "damage" and its nothing that a little bit of touch up paint & wax and about 20 minutes of your time cant fix. Really dont understand why the big deal. Pffffft. Kids...
Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

CptRon - Its probably not so much the damage as the lack of respect. We all know folks make mistakes, but some people are just jerks. And sometimes, those jerks need to be informed of their jerkiness.