General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Water Leak - NOT Common TSB - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:59 AM
anthony232

Angry Water Leak - NOT Common TSB - Please Help

I own a 2006 GT that was exposed to water leaking onto the SJB in the passengers side kick panel. I ordered a new SJB and installed it over the weekend. I checked my drains and even took out the cabin filter to check that one. That drain is apparently where the water leak comes from. That drain was completely clean of any and all trash.

Well, it then rained heavy Saturday. After about 30 minutes of rain, my wife asked me to move it into the garage to be safe. I assured her that their was no clog, so no leak. Well, it got to me...you know that "I told you so" phrase that we all want to avoid, so I scrambled to make room for it in the garage and moved it in.

Guess what? It was wet in the passengers side floor, and the SBJ had a few droplets of water on it. My heart SUNK because I cannot afford another $250 SJB. I took it back out and ran a hairdryer on it for about 30 minutes, and it's still on my dresser. I am at a loss as to what to do. I don't think any water got inside the box, and if so, very very little. Here is what I did find out...

With the SBJ out of the car, I see a white plastic 'shield' that runs the width of the SBJ and is right above it...almost like a little plastic awning. That piece was soaking wet! Right above that is a hole in the firewall/cowl going out towards my fender....basically straight down from the A-Pillar. I would have to remove the fender to get to this hole. The hole has a black plastic grommet in it with a wad of wires coming through. I don't remember, but I think most of them go to the SJB. If you open your passenger side door, you will see a similar wad of wires coming from the A-pillar/door jamb area and goes into the door. I don't think these are the same wires that come in that grommet, but again, I can't tell without taking off my fender.

I need help...I don't want to take out my dash because I am 99.99% sure that the water is getting in that grommet. Is there a body guy in here that can tell me how I can seal off that hole without causing issues? I don't think they have to move, so I could caulk the crap out of it, but there HAS to be an easier way than removing the fender.

Finally, has anyone else had this issue? I know there's thousands out here that have been affected by the SJB, but I have ruled that out. Any other people had this issue with a resolve? I really need help...I am racking up money with a stupid rental car!!!

Please help me resolve my issue, I know all of you are really knowledgeable members, so hopefully you can help! Please, I beg you

Thanks, Really,
Mark
Old 11-13-2014, 11:32 AM
surfergirltg

I have 2005 mustang that leaks so I know how disgusted you are about this problem.Ford should have had a recall for this .I am a broke house wife and when my mustang was still under warranty I took the vehicle to the dealer whom i bought my mustang only to have them charge me $150.00 to change cabin air filter and to tell me the rubber gromet was blocked with leaves and dirt.They told me to try not to park my car under trees.When I asked them why it was not covered under my warranty they said because it was not a faulty part that caused the leak. So after about six months the leak returns .I couldn't take it back to the dealer because they went out of business and my warranty ran out. I believe it was a faulty design when they built the car and Ford should fix this problem they created.I am so sorry to say I own a Ford ! Good luck to you.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:47 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Open the hood and locate the Rubber Grommets (there are two of the ).
Remove the rubber grommets permanently.
Problem solved.
Park under as many trees as you desire...
Attached Thumbnails Water Leak - NOT Common TSB - Please Help-chase.gif  

Last edited by 157dB; 11-22-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:59 PM
surfergirltg

Red face

Originally Posted by 157dB
Open the hood and locate the Rubber Grommets (there are two of the ).
Remove the rubber grommets permanently.
Problem solved.
Park under as many trees as you desire...
That is not the only problem and there are more then 2 rubber grommets (8-10) even if you remove the grommets eventually the holes over time will become blocked again.I also found out there could be a gap under right wheel well that leaks in some Mustangs.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:47 AM
austinkli
1st Gear Member

I appreciate this post. I just ran into this issue.

I have maybe 2-3 inches of water in my passenger floor board right now. I work at a dealership and one of my mechanics is going to look at it for me this afternoon. I told him I think this is the issue, he agreed that it sounds like it. I'll try and post up my findings for you.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Remove the plastic cowling and check the grommet at the bottom of the compartment where your cabin air filter is located.
This thing gets clogged up with leaves and dirt so water cannot escape so it rises until it reaches said filter and gets inside the car.
Throw that grommet away or trim it so the hole gets bigger and thus, prevent trash to clog it again.

If this doesn't fix it, check the grommets where the cowl tabs are secure into...this also could be the culprit.

Last edited by pascal; 11-24-2014 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:42 PM
surfergirltg

Default Recall or Lawsuit due to water leak ?

This has been an on going problem since 2005 for many Mustang owners.Is there anyone that knows if there ever was a recall for this problem or better yet a class action lawsuit against Ford for such a ****ty design ? Austinkli your You TUBE video you posted would be excellent proof to send to Ford to show it leaking in right aside of the passenger side fuse box causing a safety issue. So much for Ford Quality Job #1 Totally disgusted with Ford !!!!