General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

horrible misfiring, foxbody 331 stroker

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Ride2The3Stang

Default horrible misfiring, foxbody 331 stroker

I really need some help with a misfiring issue that suddenly started...

I have a 1993 foxbody with a 331 stroker, SVO aluminum heads, erson cam, holley systemax upper/lower n blah blah blah...

Anyway, this is my daily driver. Everything on this engine is next to brand new, no more than 5000 miles on it. I recently moved down south pretty much in the middle of nowhere, pollen and dirt and stuff is a lot worse than it is up in the city. My air filter is in the fender, so I don't have my eye on it all the time when I'm checking things out, well it got extremely dirty and just a thick layer of pollen was over it which started causing my engine to run rich. Well, I cleaned it thoroughly and I changed the plugs and everything was dandy. I was coming home one day last week (a week after cleaning the filter and buying new plugs) and I felt the slightest misfire, didn't think anything of it at the time... Later that day I left to go out and for some reason, I pulled out of the driveway and it felt like all my cylinders were misfiring... it was bad. I had too pull the car back in and checked over everything. Pulled my spark plugs and they were fouled really really bad, just smothered in black soot. To my understanding, that leans towards excessive fuel burning (leaky injectors) or being injected. When I start my car and I get hit the exhaust fumes, it just burns my eyes... I have bought part after part trying to resolve this issue. I have checked the internet, forums, videos, just about everything trying to sort the problem out. The last thing on my checklist is o2 sensors which I will be installing tomorrow... Although these are practically new Bosch o2 sensors and they don't even have 5k miles on them... they were covered in soot also. I test drove it yesterday after cleaning the soot off the plugs and it seemed to run fine, with a slight misfire here and there.

Everything was tuned properly. I used up 2 cans of carb cleaner looking over any vacuum leaks. I have checked voltage on my injectors, Compression test is good, TPS and IAC voltages, etc... I do not burn any oil. I recently just drove this 750 miles straight, with a couple stops and she did amazing with no issues. I have went through all plug wires. I made sure no wires or connectors were burnt, corroded, disconnected, loose, cut, dirty...

Yesterday I started cleaning the plugs, after I was done doing that I started thinking that if it still misfires then it HAS to be an electrical problem somewhere... However, I cleaned them and took the vehicle out for a test and I had just barely noticeable pinging going on once every couple 1/4 down the road.

I have no check engine light coming on either.

I know them plugs are gonna foul up again, its just a matter of time...

At this point, I will take any suggestions you awesome people in this community have to offer, throw ideas out there because I'm at my ends with this thing, I love my foxbody and love to daily it but I cannot be having this right now.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:55 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i have no ideas to be honest, but i hope you get it sorted out. the occasional pinging is a curve ball that does not make any sense if the engine is running rich.