General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2002 Mustang GT Misfire

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 03:33 PM
BlackBetty02GT

Default 2002 Mustang GT Misfire

This may be long winded but want to get all details in. I was on her almost a year ago about this issue and thought I had it fixed but guess not. My 02 GT is having some misfire issues. First is I get a flashing CEL when in mid to higher rpms and caught a freeze frame two time with my scanner which I will post below, but I notice that its when I am getting right around 2450 rpm and above in one gear cruising it wants to flash and if I left off and put it in nuetral it will flash then go away, but if I stay in that range of rpms and not let off I get a steady CEL, which usually comes up P0316,302,304 but if I let off and it goes away its just P0300. Just to let you know what I have done in the last 9 months, I have changed the intake manifold, new Motorcraft COP and plugs, have pulled the injectors and cleaned them, new crankshaft, and camshaft sensor, new fuel filter, a very expensive new battery and expensive terminals, ran both injector cleaner and seafoam through the tank. I even threw my hands up and took it to a ford dealer to have them run diagnostics and they can only say you may need to change your pulleys because the one on the water pump is bigger than the starter because it has under drive pulleys and that i need to replace front main seal, but I feel that is garbage talk to get money out of me it should not have nothing to do with misfire. I also ran a compression test about 9 months ago as well and seemed as if that was fine. I am running out of ideas here and really tired of throwing money at it. Here are the freeze frame results from the flashing light (I caught 2 of them I will post both)
*First Freeze Frame*
DTCFRZF P0300
FUELSYS1 CL
FUELSYS2 N/A
LOAD_PCT(%) 28.6
ECT(C) 89
SHRTFT1 (%) 3.9
LONGFT1 (%) -0.8
SHRTFT2 (%) -0.8
LONGFT2 (%) 1.6
FRP (KPA) 279
RPM (/MIN) 2444
VSS (KM/n) 88

*Second Freeze Frame*
DTCFRZF P0300
FUELSYS1 CL
FUELSYS2 N/A
LOAD_PCT(%) 20.8
ECT(C) 90
SHRTFT1 (%) 3.9
LONGFT1 (%) -1.6
SHRTFT2 (%) -2.3
LONGFT2 (%) 1.6
FRP (KPA) 273
RPM (/MIN) 2546
VSS (KM/n) 92

Like I said I have thrown a lot of things you would think is causing this issue but nothing has worked, and I am still trying to get 3 monitors ready for inspection this month and it seems like my the catalyst is not wanting to come on unless i let it run in that flashing mode until it finishes while at higher rpms, so if the CEL comes on I end up with a P0316,302,304 but if not and let the flashing stop while dropping the rpms just a P0300, and help is greatly appreciated sorry to be so long but wanted to get all details in. I should also mention that when at idle my rpm range is 640-659 and when ac is on 770-790 idle seems off to.

Last edited by BlackBetty02GT; 03-08-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:45 PM
WJL
3rd Gear Member

Checking the injector and or cop wiring harness for a short.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:36 AM
BlackBetty02GT

I actually hooked a fuel pressure gauge up to the schrader valve and was showing psi of 27.5 at idle and when reeving it up the psi did not move, by the way what is normal psi on our vehicles at idle.