Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Tuning Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 11:33 AM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Default Tuning Questions

Ok, I have a few quick questions about tuning here. I’m planning on getting a few after market parts to put in. I’d like to get the C&L CAI, BBK 62mm Throttle body, and the Plasma Booster ignition kit. I know that after installing these, even though they are just simple bolt on that should only take about 30 minutes to do, I’m going to need to retune. Well the thing is, I’ve never tuned like this before and I’m not sure about how it’s done. My plan was to get one of the Diablosport Predator as well when I did order and try to figure that out.

Can anyone give me an idea of what would be involved to tune a car for these modifications?

Do I need to go out and find specific tuning patterns or downloads to do this?

Does the Diablosport Predator come brand new with a tuning pattern and all I have to do is follow the on screen instructions?

Is there something better then the Diablosport Predator?

Can I totally screw up the car if I tune it wrong?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:24 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Tuning Questions

The Diablo is pretty idiot proof. Just plug it in, follow the on screen info. You will be fine. Depending on where you purchase from, you will either get a "branded" tuner or a standard one. I personally recommend the standard one, but that is just me. If you get a branded one, it should come with a tune for the CAI that it is branded to. Non branded will just come with performance tunes. Only web site you need to get tunes from is Diablo's web site. They will have whatever you are looking for ( provided you buy either a C&L or Steeda CAI ). If you get a different CAI ( JLT, MMR, whatever ) then you will need to communicate with the manufacturer of that product to get a tune, OR send your stock tune to Diablo along with info on the mods and $120 and they will write a tune for you. The plasma booster is not going to be as impressive as what you expect ( from what a member here says ). The throttle body might put you in a bind on a canned tune. You may have to pay a dyno shop to tune for that. Not sure. I have heard people say that if it is behind the air sensor, then it doesn't need a tune. I can tell you first hand that is crap.

"Is there something better than the Diablosport Predator?"
Answer to that is going to be a matter of personal preference. All of the Diablo guys are going to say no ( me included ), all of the SCT guys are going to say go with XCal. Personally, I like being able to control certain aspects of my tune on the fly with the hand held tuner. That is why I prefer the Diablo.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:44 PM
SpazHairlip
I ♥ Acer

Hmm, so you think after popping in the modifications I’ll need to do more then just run a standard type of tune from the Diablo? I was kind of hoping that after bolting the stuff in, I could run the Diablo and it would magically make the adjustments lol. But I haven’t touched a Mustang later then my 90 GT ever, and that I never had to tune.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:29 PM
hawgman
I ♥ Acer

Predator will do you fine with everything you have listed with the exception of the throttle body. I do not know about that. I would talk to BBK and Diablo and see that they have to say. (then let the rest of us know! )
Old 06-15-2005, 10:34 AM
DAVE05GT
2nd Gear Member

Hey Spazhairlip, In another thread we talked about BBK and DSP saying you won't need to tweek your tune for the TB. I will likely get mine dyno tuned though. As far as tuners and what not, my advice, of course, get a package deal with the C&L and Predator. The difference over stock is outstanding. They're on e-bay now for like $645.00 (about $15.00 cheaper than I paid) but some of these other guys may know of some better deals.