Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

motor wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 02:54 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Exclamation motor wear

My car-06 Gt Auto 25K. Bama tune,exhast,intake, 4.10s..... I have a queston that I'm 90% sure I know the answer to but I'm hopeing some of you can ease my pain....My problem is I drive my car only 5 miles a day and I'm worried I am wearing the engine out prematurely. the last strip before reaching home I can't help myself I have to peg the tack till I'm at 80mph thats not fast I know but with the 4.10s I'm smokin the tires in all 4 gears witch I'm apprehensive about....

What does the peanut gallery have to say? I'm hopeing that these cars are engineered to take this kind of treatment to some extent...

Aloha,
Gil
Old 12-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Driving ANY engine consistently for only 5 miles between cold startups is NOT ideal. But as long as you're running a good oil and changing it at an appropriate frequency, you're doing all you can to keep your engine in good shape. More than likely you'll see a slightly faster degradation of your exhaust system from moisture and acids, some lousey fuel mileage since the engine isn't getting the chance to get to it's normal operating temp and premature battery failure due to lack of a charge to offset the cranking loads.

If you're not getting hardly ANY long trips (at least 10 miles at a time) to burn off any moisture in the engine, then I'd change the oil every 3,000 miles. No need to use a full synthetic. The Motorcraft blend would be just fine. If you DO get to burn the moisture off on occasion, then you can probably up that to 4,000-5,000 miles on the blend. IMO, take the Stang out for a 60 mile cruise every weekend or so and blow some of that carbon out, too!
Old 12-20-2009, 11:48 PM
hardcore302
2nd Gear Member

what he said, but if i were you i would warm up my car to a reasonable temp and then start driving, as i have short trips as well.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:13 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Driving ANY engine consistently for only 5 miles between cold startups is NOT ideal. But as long as you're running a good oil and changing it at an appropriate frequency, you're doing all you can to keep your engine in good shape. More than likely you'll see a slightly faster degradation of your exhaust system from moisture and acids, some lousey fuel mileage since the engine isn't getting the chance to get to it's normal operating temp and premature battery failure due to lack of a charge to offset the cranking loads.

If you're not getting hardly ANY long trips (at least 10 miles at a time) to burn off any moisture in the engine, then I'd change the oil every 3,000 miles. No need to use a full synthetic. The Motorcraft blend would be just fine. If you DO get to burn the moisture off on occasion, then you can probably up that to 4,000-5,000 miles on the blend. IMO, take the Stang out for a 60 mile cruise every weekend or so and blow some of that carbon out, too!

Thanks, I do understand the dynamics 0f friction of any sorts will cause wear. it's the high revs that concerned me. weed wackers spin at 20-25k and can last (awhile). Having over 6000 posts you must of read a few things about this here and there. I am using full syn oil just because it makes me feel good. Interesting you should mention the degradation of the exhast. the installer mentioned the fact that my proximity to the beach and the salts would rust out my system. driving only for about 30min a day, the rest of the time It's stored safetly in the garage so I hope to extend life that way not to mention the exterior.

There is an ulterior motive.

There's a small part of my brain thats wanting to see that crappy trans blow into 1000 bits! I've done just about everything I could to it and I still get "double shifts" okay I'll save this for another tread.....

how's this for ego, I don't take my car out on long runs for the simple fact I don't want bugs on my pretty yellow car! ....boo woo...

Big Mahalo Nuke for your imput,
Gil,
Old 12-21-2009, 02:15 AM
gils maui pony
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hardcore302
what he said, but if i were you i would warm up my car to a reasonable temp and then start driving, as i have short trips as well.
In Hawaii it's always at normal operating temp....(how much more do you want me to rub it in)

Last edited by gils maui pony; 12-21-2009 at 02:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-21-2009, 08:08 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gils maui pony
...how's this for ego, I don't take my car out on long runs for the simple fact I don't want bugs on my pretty yellow car! ....
I hear you on that, Gil. My Stang isn't my DD and it's in storage thru the winter but when it's not in storage, I make every attempt to stretch her legs. I try to take her for a 60 mile or more cruise at least once every few weeks despite having bugs and other nasties plastered all over. But then, that's just another reason to spend some time with her, washing and buffing.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

I wouldnt beat on the car until your engine is nice and warm and that will take at least 10 minutes even in hawaii. The problem with the cold engine is that the oil can't properly lubricate everything. I always at least wait until the water temp gauge is at full temp before I go more than 25% throttle or above 2500 rpms.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Take the long way home. I do that all the time.