Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Anyone with a 2010 Mustang GT

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 05:38 PM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

Default Anyone with a 2010 Mustang GT

Ok I have a 2010 Mustang GT, and went by the K&N headquarterrs in Riverside, CA, and they need one more test car they will give you a rental car for a couple days and you will recieve a free newly designed induction system. I took my car in earlier this year and they are still waiting on another test car so they can properly put the induction system into production with accurate numbers
Old 03-19-2010, 10:50 PM
mondo73
2nd Gear Member

Why can't they just use yours? They already have a intake system for the Camaro and the Mustang was out before they started production on the Camaro.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

You dont design a system on just one car unless its going to be specific to that car. Fit and AFR need to be tested on several cars so they know it will work on cars at each end of the factory tolerances. Otherwise it could fit poorly or be to lean on some cars.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:08 PM
2010 desert mustang
1st Gear Member

I already have taken my mustang in but they are required to have atleast two test cars before they are able to put their product into production. They are still waiting on one more 2010 Mustang GT so if you guys know anyone near Riverside, CA let them know, Riverside is only about 45 minutes away from LA. This is K&N so you know they are going to make a good induction system for the car. Plus if you take your car in they will give you a rental car(no charge, they gave me a infiniti G37) and you will also recieve the induction system for free.
Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2010 desert mustang
...This is K&N so you know they are going to make a good induction system for the car....
Now that's pretty funny right there...

Sorry, I'm not fond of K&N products.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Art161
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Any particular reason, Nuke?

I put a K&N air filter on my 1970 Olds. I didn't notice any performance increase from a regular paper filter. I did notice a significant decrease in performance after about 10,000 miles. So I cleaned and re-oiled the K&N. It was okay for another 10,000 miles, when it needed cleaning and re-oiling again. I don't drive in particularly dusty areas. When I figured the cost of the K&N filter, the cost of the cleaner and oil, the time spent cleaning and re-oiling for no apparent benefit over a regular paper filter, I went back to regular paper.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:52 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Now that's pretty funny right there...

Im not a fan of the no tune concept for these cars but they work pretty well with a tune.

American Speed went 12.7 @ 108 on stock tires, stock gears, K&N CAI and Mailorder Tune. The only other mod he had was a Steeda Suspension which if anything hurt 1/4 ml performance (Handling Suspensions usually does). He had cut better 60's on the stock supension. It may not make the biggest number on the dyno but it obviously gets the job done where it matters on a near stock car.

Now as far as the gauze filters you can get essentially the same item from S&B for less money.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Art161
Any particular reason, Nuke?...

...When I figured the cost of the K&N filter, the cost of the cleaner and oil, the time spent cleaning and re-oiling for no apparent benefit over a regular paper filter, I went back to regular paper.
I saw two or more supposedly independent tests on K&N conical filters compared to other brands years ago and I wasn't impressed with the size and amount of particulates that the K&N trapped compared to others. That left a long-standing perception in my mind. Maybe it was BS; maybe it was real and has since been resolved. But it's a lasting perception.

Like you, I also abandonded using an Amsoil oiled air filter in one of my SUV's because I never could blot out enough oil to keep it from contaminating the MAF and I found myself having to clean the MAF and reset the CEL about every 6,000 miles. With that and cleaning and reoiling every 15k-20k miles, I was fed up.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

I saw two or more supposedly independent tests on K&N conical filters compared to other brands years ago and I wasn't impressed with the size and amount of particulates that the K&N trapped compared to others. That left a long-standing perception in my mind. Maybe it was BS; maybe it was real and has since been resolved. But it's a lasting perception.

Like you, I also abandonded using an Amsoil oiled air filter in one of my SUV's because I never could blot out enough oil to keep it from contaminating the MAF and I found myself having to clean the MAF and reset the CEL about every 6,000 miles. With that and cleaning and reoiling every 15k-20k miles, I was fed up.
No only that but if the paper elements are deep pleat designs (Like the GT500) the paper filter outflows the K&N.