Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

My 2005, a TSB and my Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Default My 2005, a TSB and my Warranty

I just purchased a 2005 GT to replace my 2008 GT/CS. I had to sell it to raise some cash when my 6 year old son got stabbed in the face. It doesn't seem like a good trade, but I'm not unhappy...

Anyway, I drive 50 minutes to work and 50 minutes home. At the end of each trip when I downshift and stomp it there is a horrible hesitation and then off it goes.

After much research I finally traced the issue to a TSB requiring the fuel pump to be replaced.

Here is where it gets interesting: The car has 16,000 miles on it. I know it is outside the 36 month warranty period but with way less than 36,000 miles I contact the dealer and ask if it can be covered under warranty - after all it is a known issue and the car was delivered with the problem.

I told the service manager it was a 2005 by accident - my truck is a 2005. I was told that they could extend the warranty to 5 years on the TSB but not six. I thanked him and left unhappy. On the way home I realized what I had done so I contacted the dealer and told them the mistake but they don't want to replace the fuel pump under warranty (and they told me it is $300 in labor alone because they have to drop the fuel tank - untrue there is access under the rear seat).

Thoughts? What should I do next?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:01 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by HeadonaStick
I had to sell it to raise some cash when my 6 year old son got stabbed in the face.
WHAT!!???

Anyway, to answer your question, your only options are to pay the dealer to do the install (but find an honest dealer because you are correct that the tank DOES NOT have to be dropped) or perform the install yourself. It really is a 30-45 minute job even if you take your time.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:54 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Diabolical!
WHAT!!???

Anyway, to answer your question, your only options are to pay the dealer to do the install (but find an honest dealer because you are correct that the tank DOES NOT have to be dropped) or perform the install yourself. It really is a 30-45 minute job even if you take your time.
Yeah, another 6 year old got mad when they were doing an activity and stabbed him in the face with a pencil. The student should not have been in the classroom but they've cut the programs for children with special needs here.

Anyway I probably will do the install myself. With the information you provided it will be cake. I just find it interesting that when they thought it was 6 years old they could have done something if it was inside 5 years, but when it is actually inside 5 years there is nothing they can do. Dealers cheese me off.

I just didn't want to cough up 250 clams for a fuel pump.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Default Pump

I had the same problem with my '06 GT 'vert, actually a pretty easy change. The only sticky part for me was getting the lock ring started after putting the new pump in. I'm sure it didn't take longer than an hour. There are two pumps in there. The only one that needs to be changed is the one on the driver's side.
By the way, warranty will not pay for something in a TSB, sorry. A TSB is not a recall.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
I had the same problem with my '06 GT 'vert, actually a pretty easy change. The only sticky part for me was getting the lock ring started after putting the new pump in. I'm sure it didn't take longer than an hour. There are two pumps in there. The only one that needs to be changed is the one on the driver's side.
By the way, warranty will not pay for something in a TSB, sorry. A TSB is not a recall.
Actually, there's only one pump. The passenger side is just a pickup.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:23 PM
HeadonaStick
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Goldenpony
A warranty will in fact pay for something in a TSB, IF the car is still inside the warranty period. Sometimes Ford or the dealer will extend the warranty as a courtesy although they are under no obligation to do so.

My beef here is that when we thought my car was 6 years old I was told that if the car was inside of 5 years they would go ahead and cover it but when I realized that my car was actually inside 5 years they said no. And it is a minor beef in the whole scheme of things.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:39 PM
slidai
1st Gear Member

WTF STABBED in the face?!?! lol. I am so sorry that happened to your son. I am not laughing at that, i was just NOT expecting to see "stabbed in the face".
Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
JAMAMAN
2nd Gear Member

I cant believe that, that sounds crazy. I think you might a civil claim against the school for negligence. I have seen stuff like this won all the time.