Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Had 4.10s installed this weekend. Wow!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 AM
08VaprGT

I have been in 'bumper to bumper' traffic plenty of time with the 4.10s and 5-speend have no complaints. You get used to it very quickly. I also have read that a lot of guys with 4.10s will take off in 2nd gear some times which would prevent the quick lunge that you're talking about.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:09 PM
StangMan_GT

Originally Posted by 08VaprGT
I have been in 'bumper to bumper' traffic plenty of time with the 4.10s and 5-speend have no complaints. You get used to it very quickly. I also have read that a lot of guys with 4.10s will take off in 2nd gear some times which would prevent the quick lunge that you're talking about.
Thanks, should I go with Ford Racing or are other brands just as good?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:16 PM
madmann26
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangMan_GT
Thanks, should I go with Ford Racing or are other brands just as good?
Some people report issues with the Motive's (or any other brand that is NOT Ford Racing). I honestly don't know if it's an issue with the gears themselves or the install.

From my personal exp, I bought the gear/tuner combo from AM.com. I paid my mechanic $200 to put them in and he did it right, painted the gears, pre-loaded the pinion, etc and I haven't had a single whine/noise come from my diff yet.

That was about 13k miles ago.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:33 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Definatley go with ford racing gears only. The nature of the way the Motive is cut will increase gear noise, even with proper install. Just got my 3.73's and love them!
Do not fear the gear man, top end you will increase rpm about 250 with a 3.73 and 500rpm with a 4.10.
Nothing but fun to be found with this mod and next to a cai/tune, the best mod you can do to your stang imo.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Quick bump on this thread, is it true that you'll need to install a part to reconfigure the vehicles speedometer so that you get the correct mileage read out?

At least that's what I'm getting from American Muscles website...
Old 02-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Wpipes
Quick bump on this thread, is it true that you'll need to install a part to reconfigure the vehicles speedometer so that you get the correct mileage read out?

At least that's what I'm getting from American Muscles website...
There is a speed correction needed, but the easiest thing is to use a tuner.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Gixx

I have a '11 gt 6sp(3.31) with CAI, tune, and ale backs. 1st gear I have to work the throttle and clutch to launch hard, 2nd gear I have to do the same, 3rd gear is just a little messy and corrects it's self and I usually get a good chirp in fourth. Oh, I have factory tires with lots of tread left, cars still pretty new. What I was wondering is how are you guys even able to drive your cars hard. I was thinking of getting 3.73 gears but I think I'd actually go slower due to not getting traction.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
aquajr
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gixx
I have a '11 gt 6sp(3.31) with CAI, tune, and ale backs. 1st gear I have to work the throttle and clutch to launch hard, 2nd gear I have to do the same, 3rd gear is just a little messy and corrects it's self and I usually get a good chirp in fourth. Oh, I have factory tires with lots of tread left, cars still pretty new. What I was wondering is how are you guys even able to drive your cars hard. I was thinking of getting 3.73 gears but I think I'd actually go slower due to not getting traction.
Well not all of us have 400hp, so traction won't be an issue.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:00 PM
Franchi
4th Gear Member

I don't even understand your question?!?! /\/\

EDIT: DOH! Ninja'd!
Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Wpipes
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Syracuse315
There is a speed correction needed, but the easiest thing is to use a tuner.
So for example, if I purchase a tuner/CAI combo and get free tunes from BAMA, I can send an email in letting them know I installed 4.10 gears and they can send me a tune to correct the speedometer/mileage? Or are you talking about a different kind of tuner?

Quick Reply: Had 4.10s installed this weekend. Wow!