Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Short Throw Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Give them a call. They'll be happy to let you know where your shifter is. Mine took about 10 days to come in. I believe some parts are made to order.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 PM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

I emailed them last night, and I had a reply by this morning.

You are right--they said it was on hold to have a part made, and I should have it by next week. They also apologized for the delay.

Looks like I'll be installing a new shifter next weekend!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

Glad to hear it. Good people at MGW, for sure.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:26 AM
AZPony

Originally Posted by Thundersteel
I emailed them last night, and I had a reply by this morning.

You are right--they said it was on hold to have a part made, and I should have it by next week. They also apologized for the delay.

Looks like I'll be installing a new shifter next weekend!
Did you get it? I'm sure we would all like to know how the install goes and well it works.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:28 AM
Goldenpony
5th Gear Member

Smile

Still another vote for MGW! You're never sorry when you buy the best.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

Did you get it? I'm sure we would all like to know how the install goes and well it works.
Yes, I received it last week. It isn't just a shifter; it's a piece of art!

I haven't had a chance to install it yet; perhaps next week.

EDIT: I installed it yesterday. It was a little bit of a PITA, but overall, not too bad. I had the stock shifter out in 30 minutes, and that included taking breaks and chugging water (it was 95 degrees and very humid--typical Florida weather).

When it was time to put in the new shifter, it started to rain, so I had to wait a couple hours until the rain quit and the driveway wasn't so wet. I installed the rubber boot and adjusted the throw prior to putting the shifter in the car, as per TacoBill's advice.

The only difficulty I had was installing the shifter in the car. There is about a 2" protrusion on the transmission case that interfered with the front shifter arm, so I had to lower the transmission crossmember about 1/4" or so until the shifter arm cleared the protrusion. After that, the rest was easy.

I elected not to install the Dynomat yet, as I really didn't have the clearance necessary to do a good job. Plus, I don't think it's absolutely necessary, either, as I didn't hear any additional noise when driving. I'm not that concerned, as I'll do it when I get access to a rack; possibly next week.

To finish the installation, I installed a new 2004 Cobra **** covered in black leather. It looks much better to me than the stock ****.

MY OPINION: The MGW really firms up the shifts! It now feels like a precision piece of machinery, rather than the sloppy feeling of the stock shifter. I adjusted the throw 5 turns, which is supposed to be about a 33% reduction; but to me, it feels like 50%. I may back it off one or two turns to see what it's like.

MGW--Highly recommended!

Last edited by Thundersteel; 07-03-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2011, 11:21 AM
AZPony

Yes, I received it last week. It isn't just a shifter; it's a piece of art!

I haven't had a chance to install it yet; perhaps next week.

EDIT: I installed it yesterday. It was a little bit of a PITA, but overall, not too bad. I had the stock shifter out in 30 minutes, and that included taking breaks and chugging water (it was 95 degrees and very humid--typical Florida weather).

When it was time to put in the new shifter, it started to rain, so I had to wait a couple hours until the rain quit and the driveway wasn't so wet. I installed the rubber boot and adjusted the throw prior to putting the shifter in the car, as per TacoBill's advice.

The only difficulty I had was installing the shifter in the car. There is about a 2" protrusion on the transmission case that interfered with the front shifter arm, so I had to lower the transmission crossmember about 1/4" or so until the shifter arm cleared the protrusion. After that, the rest was easy.

I elected not to install the Dynomat yet, as I really didn't have the clearance necessary to do a good job. Plus, I don't think it's absolutely necessary, either, as I didn't hear any additional noise when driving. I'm not that concerned, as I'll do it when I get access to a rack; possibly next week.

To finish the installation, I installed a new 20004 Cobra **** covered in black leather. It looks much better to me than the stock ****.

MY OPINION: The MGW really firms up the shifts! It now feels like a precision piece of machinery, rather than the sloppy feeling of the stock shifter. I adjusted the throw 5 turns, which is supposed to be about a 33% reduction; but to me, it feels like 50%. I may back it off one or two turns to see what it's like.

MGW--Highly recommended!
Great info! I have access to a rack when the time comes. It sounds like it would make the install a lot easier. Did you have any issues inside the car with the center console?
Old 07-03-2011, 08:38 AM
Thundersteel
2nd Gear Member

Did you have any issues inside the car with the center console?
No. I had it out in about 10 minutes--just make sure the e-brake handle is pulled up pretty far before removing/installing it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM
AZPony

Good to know. Thanks for all the info. That should be my next project before the summer is over.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:28 PM
Locke_03
1st Gear Member

MGW = Made in USA

Hurst = Made in China

I know that's not important to many people, but it is to me.
Just made my decision for me

Quick Reply: Short Throw Shifter