Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Newly Modded Mustang (hearing things)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:30 AM
TheYeti
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by asuhayda
Thanks for the info. That is the sound I'm getting but it's not as bad. If my car isn't stock, will they not fix this? It's gonna be a major pain returning my car to it's stock config... that would suck
I wouldnt say they wont fix it....depends on the dealer. There seems to be people that think Ford is hell bent on denying claims cause of mods and saying people are racing....especially if it has to do with the new tranny in the 5.0.

If it is the tranny, the noise will get worse.

also check this video. This is a long term test car....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWkep...eature=related

I would definitely take it in though...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
STANGmole
2nd Gear Member

Do you hear it when you rev the engine in neutral? If so, it's probably your intake. If not, maybe it's the transmission...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:54 PM
5.ohhhhh

yeah man i have the same car and its just the flow of air coming through the intake
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

some of the better intakes come with a plug that lets you block off that sound tube, if yours has one try that. The CAI is more noisy than a lot of folks expect, it sounds like the blower on my old 10 GT a bit, but not as high pitched. roll down the windows and accelerate the car to about 5k and shift, you can clearly hear the intake suck air in and i bet it matches up with the sound you hear from the intake tube.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:45 PM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

+1 on it probably being the intake. Some people really want that sound, other people it seems to drive crazy. Personally I love hearing mine, it kind of keeps me satisfied until it's blower time next summer! But you're right to ask if you have any concerns. It would be relatively easy to tell if it's the intake if you have a buddy. Just stand with your head under the hood, the car in neutral or park if it's an auto, have him/her rev it pretty good a few times. You should hear a whistle coinciding with the revs and feel the air being sucked into the engine. There's really not a fix for it if it's that, aside from going back to stock, who wants that?

There are a lot of new noises on the modification road. My car was silent and smooth as could be in stock form, now after exhaust, basically every conceivable bolt on/cams/longtubes/etc. it has so many rattles and vibrations if I have the windows up, especially with solid mounts on the engine and torque limiters on the transmission. You kind of trade off sometimes. It's not bad at all and totally bearable, just be prepared for new sounds with some mods and always check and ask if you have any concerns, never know, one time it might not be normal!
Old 10-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

All 2011+ GT's are garbage. All owners should get rid of them immediately.

Feel free to drop it off at my house, just leave the keys in the ignition, and I will happily dispose of it for you.
Old 11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
asuhayda

Originally Posted by OhEightGT
+1 on it probably being the intake. Some people really want that sound, other people it seems to drive crazy. Personally I love hearing mine, it kind of keeps me satisfied until it's blower time next summer! But you're right to ask if you have any concerns. It would be relatively easy to tell if it's the intake if you have a buddy. Just stand with your head under the hood, the car in neutral or park if it's an auto, have him/her rev it pretty good a few times. You should hear a whistle coinciding with the revs and feel the air being sucked into the engine. There's really not a fix for it if it's that, aside from going back to stock, who wants that?

There are a lot of new noises on the modification road. My car was silent and smooth as could be in stock form, now after exhaust, basically every conceivable bolt on/cams/longtubes/etc. it has so many rattles and vibrations if I have the windows up, especially with solid mounts on the engine and torque limiters on the transmission. You kind of trade off sometimes. It's not bad at all and totally bearable, just be prepared for new sounds with some mods and always check and ask if you have any concerns, never know, one time it might not be normal!
Thanks again for the info. Ugh! I dunno, I took it to a mech and he is pretty confident that it is just the intake/intake manifold combo. He thinks the transimission sounds quiet.

I guess logic would say, I didn't hear it before I put the intake and intake manifold in, then I installed it and suddenly began to hear it = it's probably the intake.

Incidentally, the mechanic's explanation (2 cents) was that it could be the air rushing over the throttle body blade and since it's a non-muffled CAI it's magnifying a noise that would otherwise be inaudible if it were stock. I really don't think it's a leak because it sounds like the noise is coming in through the sound tube (I hear it primarily out of my left ear).

Anyway, I'm not ruling out the possibility that it's the transmission.. it's just, if that were the case, it would be unrelated to my modifications and it's a leap from what I was originally worried about. And it would be a fantastic cooincidence if all of a sudden the tranny just happened to start going out within a day or two of my installing the intake/intake manifold. Nevertheless, I'm not having any problems with shifting whatsoever and I've seen vids of ppl with the MT82 problems. I'm not getting any of those problems.

I'll keep an eye and ear out for it, but I need to stop obsessing... I think it's probably just the intake.

Thanks again!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:52 AM
OhEightGT
2nd Gear Member

No problem!! Asuhayda I would really bet my money on the sound just being the perfectly normal (and beautiful! ) sound of the intake sucking air in. People are always surprised at just how loud it is. My car is very loud exhaust wise, and even with it wide open I can clearly hear the whistle of the intake not necessarily over the exhaust but it is loud enough to be clearly audible, and just cruising softly it's loud enough to hear even with the windows up and radio off.

It would indeed be a wild coincidence if beginning with the first start after you installed the intake and all, you were hearing a transimission whistle rather than an intake whistle. But you did the right thing If you ever hear noises, even noises that seem on the boundary between normal and bad, it's always better to ask!! When it comes to mods virtually all of them add sound to the car in one way or another. But sometimes, the noises can actually be indicators of serious problems, so you did the right thing investigating But I'd rest peacefully, from what you're saying and especially the fact that you're not experiencing the tranny problems, I'd bet almost anything it's just the intake. Power makes noise!