Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 09:40 PM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

I've run Pirelli Scottozero Winter tires which are made from engineered compound rubber that maintains grip and elasticity in extremely low temperature and is designed with deep siping to allow for a dig and traction in snow as deep as 6 to 8 inches. They also are speed rated higher than most other winter tires and will allow my to run them on the Hwy or twisties at up to 150 MPH in sub zero temperatures in the North East Pa mountains. I often find myself passing AWD SUV's in the snow. the tires in fact will effectively and significantly shorten stopping distances on Ice and packed snow much more effectively than an AWD on all season tires. and that my friend is a fact.

I ran my Foxbody 5.8 custom stang in the 80's on 14 inch honeycomb rims and fat meaty tires... Because they were cheap and all I could spare for at the time. But, comparing both options having been there and done that. Tires are the most important part on your car. And each type has its application. On a sports coupe, which is what a modern Mustang is. You want cornering handling as well as a wide contact grip. So low profiles are it for me. This car can go toe to toe with BMW' M3's... And hang with a Boss Leguna Seca if equipped properly. fat beefy tires and small rims ain't gonna do it. not unless you want a squishy feel hitting the cornering and less road feedback pushing your vehicle to the limits of its performance. You learn to appreciate the feel of the road for a reason. If you want less of it then that's why you buy a touring sedan with a touring suspension. You want a sports car with gobs of torque and power then you get proper tires....Big wheels, low profile stiff sidewalls and huge contact patch and a stiffened suspension. You want to make a straight line Muscle car out of the S197 stangs that can actually bob and weave with the best of them then go ahead and put small wheels and meaty tires on it. Then meet me on the mountain road twisties and find out who comes out on top. Or pull up to me on a HWy with your little wheels and see who's faster from a roll. The real world is not just a 1/4 mile drag strip.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Cruzinaround
or twisties at up to 150 MPH in sub zero temperatures in the North East Pa mountains.
At around $350 per, they SHOULD be pretty amazing, but that seems a feat worthy of video documentation...

I suppose they'll just shrug off a foot deep Boston or NY pothole while mounted on a 19" or 20" rim as well?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:22 PM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
WTF are you, a midget? These S197's are not big by any means, unless you came from rice.

And putting 20's on require you to go to a lower profile tire with the equivalent O.D. of the OE tires so you're not filling ANYTHING out. Get your chit straight.
didn't i tell you to take 10 deep breaths? did you take em?

Originally Posted by CMcNam
I never understood that logic either. Unless you're using much bigger tires, the overall diameter is the same. I suppose it's an illusion that bigger wheels "fill" up the wheel well more, when they are actually about the same no matter what size you put on.

Yes, technically it is an illusion, cause the total diameter doesnt change, but compare the looks between these two photos:

here's some 18's:

Now here's some 20's:

i think the size, and shape of the 20's fits the large wheel wells and large front and back features of our cars. Just my opinion. but smaller wheels give you more torque and a little cushier ride, so if thats what you like then rub baby oil on yourself and flex your butt cheeks.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ThaiCobra
didn't i tell you to take 10 deep breaths? did you take em?

Yes, technically it is an illusion, cause the total diameter doesnt change, but compare the looks between these two photos:

here's some 18's:

Now here's some 20's:

i think the size, and shape of the 20's fits the large wheel wells and large front and back features of our cars. Just my opinion. but smaller wheels give you more torque and a little cushier ride, so if thats what you like then rub baby oil on yourself and flex your butt cheeks.
That'll give you a better 1:1 comparison from a similar angle.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Mr.Ski
2nd Gear Member

I think the 20's look better, but the car has to be lowered from the stock height for them to look right. I still would love to ask the Ford engineers why the wheel/tire set up on the GT500 is what it is. There seems to be alot of disdain here for the 19's & 20's, and i honestly don' get it. Both sizes have their merits. Let me phrase like this - If 19 & 20's are so bad, crappy, inferior, what have you, then why did Ford Motor Co choose to put both on the highest powered and fastest (200 mph) Mustang ever? I think they would have used 18's if they were that superior.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
ThaiCobra
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
That'll give you a better 1:1 comparison from a similar angle.
lel thanks. i love your car. thats why i had a pic of it saved on my HD.

btw, could you discuss your interior a little? I am considering Katskin, and whether to go go 2-tone, one color, beige and black, red and black, etc... and it looks like you have been down that road and could provide some details. thanks.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Cruzinaround
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
At around $350 per, they SHOULD be pretty amazing, but that seems a feat worthy of video documentation...

I suppose they'll just shrug off a foot deep Boston or NY pothole while mounted on a 19" or 20" rim as well?
google glass or go pro.... You'll have that Demonstration from me. But if you search around on Tire Rack they have a video review of this tire with several other All seasons equipped on RWD Ferraris on Packed snow in Switzerland.

If it means my safety then the proper tire for the appropriate season are a priority.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

THIS must be the look you're going for...
Attached Images  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 AM
StangingAround
1st Gear Member

Nuke hates on 20's but has faux scoops that are merely there for decoration? Ironic, no?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Andy13186
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by StangingAround
Nuke hates on 20's but has faux scoops that are merely there for decoration? Ironic, no?
his sig charicature pic is also sportin 20+'ers with low profile tires

Quick Reply: Do you daily drive on 20 inch wheels?